2 Stroke 2003 CR 125 help

Hey guys I'm new to this forum, a few months back I bought a 2003 cr 125 (first bike ever) for 1400 dollars. I take the bike home it blows up on me not even 20 minutes in. Long story short it has a fresh bottom and top end built by a good friend who has built many bikes before. Started up after fiddling with the carb for a while and got it running. Broke it in for a while and then it fouled a plug. A few days later I come back to it with fresh plugs, air filter, throttle cable, and refurbished carb. Now it won't start. Tried jump starting it and it just purs a little and dies. Me and my buddy are lost, if anybody has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

see if it has spark with another NEW plug, if it does then dribble some gas in the spark plug hole, quickly put plug back in and try to start it.
When you take the plug out after trying to start it, what does it look like? Wet, dry, black, oily etc.
It has spark and the plug still looks new, i even tried switching it out with an another new one for good measure. I'm going to pep boys today for some carb cleaner and i'm going to try the whole carb/ float thing out.

So new and dry looking. Sounds like fuel is not getting where it is suposed to be.
Memory tells me that one has a Mikuni carburetor. The needle jet and holder assembly is removable on that one, if so. Therefore it has to come out and be cleaned too.

Last edited:
Is the gas turned on at the tank?
Is it flowing to the carb?
If you lean the bike over to one side does fuel come out of the carb over flow hose?
If yes to all the above...Pull and clean the pilot jet.

Paw Paw

If the plug is coming out dry especially after a failed push start attempt, my thought of it being very very flooded is out the window, something I would have almost bet on after fouling a plug and putting it away for a few days.

So new and dry looking. Sounds like fuel is not getting where it is suposed to be.
Memory tells me that one has a Mikuni carburetor. The needle jet and holder assembly is removable on that one, if so. Therefore it has to come out and be cleaned too.
Is the gas turned on at the tank?
Is it flowing to the carb?
If you lean the bike over to one side does fuel come out of the carb over flow hose?
If yes to all the above...Pull and clean the pilot jet.

Paw Paw
If the plug is coming out dry especially after a failed push start attempt, my thought of it being very very flooded is out the window, something I would have almost bet on after fouling a plug and putting it away for a few days.
I'm over in Pa right now with some family i will try the above when i return. Thanks again for the help.

Just an update.... cleaned the shit out of the carb put it back in and got it running again. Problem is it pisses gas even when running and also whenever I turn right the revs sky rocket (maybe faulty throttle cable) ?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Just an update.... cleaned the shit out of the carb put it back in and got it running again. Problem is it pisses gas even when running and also whenever I turn right the revs sky rocket (maybe faulty throttle cable) ?
Float is not set right, dirty, or the needle has deteriorated.
Fuel level is controlled by the float alone.

The engine revving up in a right turn only is a cable routing issue. Something gets too tight when you turn it right.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Float is not set right, dirty, or the needle has deteriorated.
Fuel level is controlled by the float alone.

The engine revving up in a right turn only is a cable routing issue. Something gets too tight when you turn it right.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Yeah what Danno said!

Fiddled with the float a little bit and its working just as it should now. And with the routing of the cable it seems to be the most optimal route but i will try another way. Thanks again guys you were a big help!

Fiddled with the float a little bit and its working just as it should now. And with the routing of the cable it seems to be the most optimal route but i will try another way. Thanks again guys you were a big help!

Make sure that the cable is properly seated into the carb and that it has the correct slack.