250F 2002 YZ250F won't idle without choke

I bought this bike a couple months ago from a guy who said the carburetor is rebuilt and the valves adjusted so it starts in one kick. I let it sit in the garage for about a month or so, and finally took it our for a ride. The bike worked like a charm until the end of the ride (about an hour). It just would not start so I assumed it was out of gas. I filled it up and it started fine so I thought nothing of it. Now all of a sudden the bike will barely start (only if I twist the throttle), idles harshly with the choke out and dies the second I press it in. I cleaned the carburetor, and made sure nothing was stuck in the jets, and it solved nothing. I don't understand what it could be or why it broke considering how short I rode it and didn't even drop it.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Greetings. Your symptoms are certainly pointing at a plugged Idle jet.
It could be anything in the carburetor though I suppose.
It would be hard to start when hot, not cold, if the valves were getting out of spec.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Sounds like you need more fuel.
I'm gonna go with BagDan and his coat-tail rider on this for $100 Bob!

I'd clean the carb again, with compressed air if you have it.
Make sure your filter in the petcock is good, along with the fuel lines and any inline filter there might be. Also make sure your gas cap breather hose is clear too.
Remove the jets, and while blowing them out look through them. You should see a small round hole and light on the other side.
Also, I wouldn't touch the float setting at all unless you really really want to learn how a carb works.
If you must, I highly recommend spending the $ for one of them fancy float measuring tools (25 bucks on ebay).