2002 kx250- dual chamber vs single? oil height?

hi guys,
I have a quick question, i am about to change the fork oil in my 2002 kx250 along with replacing the fork springs. Would my bike be dual chamber or single chamber? do i just need to tilt the fork and drain the oil or take the whole fork tube apart to get to a second cartridge? how can i tell?, i can take a picture of the top of my fork tube or where the spring meets the cap on the top of the fork tube. Looking for a quick answer, also, how mcuh oil do i need, i already bought 5w, should i fill it to 105mm?

Thanks,
Zach

I have heard that the 2002's have an inner bladder like a dual chamber but i don't know if that means i can just drain it right out of the fork tube or if i have to take the whole fork apart.

My best advice to you, and anyone who works on their own bikes, is to get a service manual for your bike. For around 30 bucks you can have all the answers in the palm of your hand. With step by step instructions on how to anything that needs to be done, and if any special tools are needed.
There will be no need to wait for answers on the forums, so you can get back to riding sooner. That's worth the money alone IMO. :thumb:

thanks guys, i got the oil level all squared away then i hit some unexpected problems. . . Well, i bought the "2002" kx250 last winter/spring and rode it for a year, the guy was very honest and he was the second owner. THe original owner put heavy springs in the bike front and rear from factory connection (.45 front 5.6 rear) so i just recently shelled out 190 dollars for a .40 front and 5.0 race tech spring set. the rear spring went in fine since it would fit 88-05ish kx250s. However, i went to put the front spring in but the OD of the new springs was to big, it would not fit through the tube as it would hit on the lower fork tube. I checked the OD and it came out to be 43mm, the old springs OD was 41mm . I ran the vin on the frame and found the 10th digit on the frame to be a 1 (or 2001) (http://oem-cycle.com/Find_Out_Year_of_bike.aspx) so second, i ran the crankcase VIN number: KX250LE02 which is NO WHERE ON THE VIN FOR KX250 MOTORS??!?!? (http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.aspx)

So what does this mean? is my bike a rare 2002 motor in a 2001 frame? where can i get parts IE: top end, etc. for my bikes motor, and should i get new fork springs for a 2001 (2001's spring OD is 41.2) kx250 and put them in my "2002" which seams to be turning into a 2001? :shocked:

James

Staff member
Dang dude, that is a little odd, have you asked the previous owner about it? If you truly do have a 02 motor in a 01 frame, make sure to get the right year when you buy parts. For example if you use motosport.com don't forget to change the saved bike according to what you're buying.

yeah thanks, i have not contacted the previous owner, he hardly rode the bike so i doubt he would know. THe worst part is that my motor VIN is KX250LE02**** and it doesn't match any of the possible motor VIN's on that VIN decoder web site, a 2001 kx250 motor VIN is KX250LE01**** and a 2002 kx250 VIN is KX250LE06****, so my motor is a chineese knock off :smirk:? i dont even know what to think anymore :confused:

James

Staff member
yeah thanks, i have not contacted the previous owner, he hardly rode the bike so i doubt he would know. THe worst part is that my motor VIN is KX250LE02**** and it doesn't match any of the possible motor VIN's on that VIN decoder web site, a 2001 kx250 motor VIN is KX250LE01**** and a 2002 kx250 VIN is KX250LE06****, so my motor is a chineese knock off :smirk:? i dont even know what to think anymore :confused:
:lol: Yeah I did a little searching myself and couldn't find that number anywhere. Good luck. :smirk:

Great news! kinda, haha, a guy on thumpertalk (i know, i shouldn't mension that forum around here :naughty:) but he said that "There is a # cast into the cylinder by the reed cage, it will read 1911 if it's a 2000, 1938 if it's a 2001 and 1959 if it's a 2002. Also the 02 had 48mm forks and before that they were 46mm, sounds like you atleast have older forks on it.

Ed"
And on the side of my cyliner it says 1938 meaning that whole bike is a 2001 (not a mismatched frame and motor) which is good news. Except for the fact that that number on my crankcase still doesnt make sense but ill just try and forget about that :thumb:

thanks though, i really apreciate the help!

James

Staff member
:lol: Don't expect any repercussions on mentioning "the other site".

That's good to hear, well sort of, guess you have a 01 now. :ride:

BTW I like your signature :lol: