2000 RM250 Wont start! Help!!

Ok guys,

I picked up a 2000 RM250 a week ago. The guy said it had not been started for a year, but ran great before he put it in storage. I took my mechanic savvy buddy and we looked it over. My buddy said it looked good and we probably just needed to clean the carb. So... I got it. Took it home and cleaned the hell out of the carb, the jets, drained the gas tank and put in new gas. Nothing! Wouldnt start. Put in new plug and checked for spark. Good spark and still wont start! Checked the reeds and they are like new. We thought it must be top end. bought a new top end and installed it last night. Great compression, but no start. The piston we pulled looked pretty good to. We tried to bump start it and it kind of starts, but no throttle response. I have no idea what is going on. I know the carb is getting fuel and the air filter is super clean... No idea where to go now?? Oh, I checked the kill switch. unplugged and still nothing...

Also, I called the guy I bought it from and go more info. He said he did pressure wash the bike after he took it out of storage before trying to start it up... maybe something electrical??

Have you checked the exhaust pipe to be sure it is not plugged up? Critters love them for making nest.
Is your spark Blue in color? If not then do an ohms test on the coil. You see your coil mounts can rust and the spark plug connector can become corroded and thus create either a White spark or an Orange spark and what you want is a Blue spark.
RE: The carb....Was the carb soaked in a crab cleaner for a day or so? If not the internal fuel passages may still be clogged.
Did you clean all the little holes in the pilot jet? If so, how? If not it will reduce the fuel flow.

Paw Paw

Spark has a good blue spark. We cleaned the carb out a few times with carb cleaner, did not soak it... Will try that. We did clean the jets with carb cleaner and with thin piece of wire. They look good. I will check the exhaust. thanks

Ok, so I tried dropping some gas in through the spark plug hole and kicked like crazy... Nothing. I checked the exhaust and it looks clean. I am wondering if it is a stator problem now. Would I still be getting a good blue spark on plug if stator was bad? I have not messed with a voltmeter. Is that my next step?

The stator should be ok if you are getting good Blue spark. The stator generates the energy to send to the coil to fire the plug.
You need a service manual and good volt ohms meter to check the stator and wiring.
The carb still seems like the most obvious issue.
Also a compression test is in order.

Paw Paw

It had a brand new plug in it, but I put another brand new plug in it. It looked dry to me...

when you were working on the carb, did you check the flow thru from fuel supply hose thru the needle and seat, i usually check this with the float bowl off and blow air thru the hose while moving the float from the bottom to top of its range.

I am definitely getting fuel to the carb, but I have not checked the actual flow through the needle and seat... I will try that. Thanks! Just curious, would the engine have fired when I poured gas into the spark plug hole then?