2 Stroke Vs. 4 Stroke (Yeah its what it says)

Okay lets be up front here and totally honest. I have never rode a 2 stroke. The only one I have ever started was a little kids at a race. It was so small I couldn't kick start it. I had to do it with my hand. I currently ride a 2008 WR250F. I was brought up trail riding and running desert roads. My old man pounded in my head that 2 strokes were race bikes and couldn't lug or do the trail stuff. So now that I'm getting more and more into riding I see lots and lots of 2 strokes on the trails. One that I keep seeing over and over is the KTM300. I'm trying to find someone with a 2 stroke that I can ride and deside for myself but until then I want to know what you guys think the biggest pro's and con's are between the bikes. Give me a few examples too. What will I notice? Riding a 4 stroke my whole life I have no clue what to expect out of a 2 stroke. I'm tempted to buy a 2 stroke just to see and learn for myself but give me your thoughts.

What have you created?! :shocked:

:smirk:

Well, I cant speak much from experience on the 2 stroke side. I've riddin' small 2 stroke bikes like a KX100 and bunch of 85's. I currently ride a 250f thumper and that's where most of my experience comes from. I ride motocross, so I'm also not experienced on trail riding. I grew up trail riding, but it's been awhile. To be honest, I'm not sure how the bandwagons came to be. Around here, it seems that the 4 strokes are on the motocross track and the 2 strokes are on the trails. I think the 4 strokes would be better for the trails because of traction and the ability to be at near stop, pop the clutch, and pop over a log. That being probably the ONLY reason better. Then again, any skilled 2 stroker can do the same, but it might not be as easy. As you probably know, the 4 stroke has a broad, smooth powerband and the 2 stroke has that short snappy powerband. 2 strokes are more light and nimble which could make it easier throwing around the trails. I also like the almost non-existent engine deceleration. Personally, I feel more comfortable on a 2 stroke and I go faster.

I guess you cant really say which is better at what. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. See if you can test ride a 2-stroke. That'll be the only way to know what you will like better. You cant go wrong with either, in my opinion! No matter how many strokes the engine makes, it will do ya well! Good luck!

A well said statement here. :prof:
What have you created?! :shocked:

:smirk:

Well, I cant speak much from experience on the 2 stroke side. I've riddin' small 2 stroke bikes like a KX100 and bunch of 85's. I currently ride a 250f thumper and that's where most of my experience comes from. I ride motocross, so I'm also not experienced on trail riding. I grew up trail riding, but it's been awhile. To be honest, I'm not sure how the bandwagons came to be. Around here, it seems that the 4 strokes are on the motocross track and the 2 strokes are on the trails. I think the 4 strokes would be better for the trails because of traction and the ability to be at near stop, pop the clutch, and pop over a log. That being probably the ONLY reason better. Then again, any skilled 2 stroker can do the same, but it might not be as easy. As you probably know, the 4 strong has a broad, smooth powerband and the 2 stroke has that short snappy powerband. 2 strokes are more light and nimble which could make it easier throwing around the trails. I also like the almost non-existent engine deceleration. Personally, I feel more comfortable on a 2 stroke and I go faster.

I guess you cant really say which is better at what. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. See if you can test ride a 2-stroke. That'll be the only way to know what you will like better. You cant go wrong with either, in my opinion! No matter how many strokes the engine makes, it will do ya well! Good luck!

A battle that will never end.:prof:

4 Stroke:
Great torque for tractoring through the trails and tight stuff.
Good engine Breaking.
Can hold them wide open without worry of seizure.
More expensive to maintain (here is an argument waiting to happen).
Can crawl up to a steep hill and lug it up to the top.
Heavier than a 2 stroke.
Smoother roll-on power band.
Not as an aggressive riding style.

2 Stroke:
Awesome snappy power band (can add heavier flywheel for better low end torque).
No engine breaking.
Need to jet rich or milk the kill button when held wide open for a long periods of time. (I would not know I just heard :devil:).
Cheaper and easier to maintenance (did I mention argument?).
Lighter bike overall so easier to throw around.
2 Stroke fun factor.
Smells awesome when riding behind one that is using Castrol Pre-mix.

I have a couple 4 strokes and a YZ250 2 stroke. I love both of them, but you cannot replace the sound of a 2 stroke singing when up on the pegs, leaning up an over the bars and clicking through the gears while taking in the desert floor rushing by you...

^^^ Good post CDA :thumb:
Bryce, my buddy has the 300 and I have ridden it lots - it is a great off-roader. It is quite capable of lugging around but, as smooth as it is, it still has different power delivery characteristics than a thumper. I believe David Knight won a boatload of races on KTM 2Ts - nuff said. :thumb: (PS - for what it's worth, I would rather work on a 2T any day over a 4T)

im doing this comparison from my own experience my current bike is a ktm 144sx my dads bike is a 250f with 280 kit. ok i have a lot of experience with 2t and some with 4t. i race a 2t and my dad rides a 4t which i have raced (NEVER AGAIN) until you have ridden a 2t u wont know the difference in weight. the weight may be close to the same but the it feels so much lighter. the 2t will also teach you to flow better and pick better lines. the 2t is much easier to work on and much cheaper. i can do a top end on my bike in 2hr or less thats taking everything off and puting it back together. they say you have to change the top end all the time on 2t and i have to disagree i had a 250 and raced it every weekend (hard) for 2yrs before i replaced the top end (didn't even need it!!!!!) NO LIE!!!!
i have ridden a ktm 300 and it will pull all day!!! much more torque that a 250f with a 280 kit on it. in the super tight stuff they have to much some times and can get away from you. the 250 has great power and doesn't hit hard and is very manageable power if you put the green spring in. i could go on and on but for the sake of making this informational and not personal lol i will leave it at this you wont see me on a 4t

Thanks everyone. Its going to be a bit before I get another bike. I have to buy 3 others first :crazy:then I can change my bike. haha guess I will just have to wake up the 250 for now.:smirk: