2-stroke or 4-stroke, what do you have?

2s, 4s or both?

• Total voters
I would have to agree that its all on the rider. Now I own a 250 2t bike, and Im the care taker of a 450 4t bike till my brother gets back from Afghanistan. I ride one of them every other ride. At first I hated my brothers bike. Its way taller than my bike, and nearly 30lbs heavier. It doesnt perform (handle) the same as my bike. But I ride both bikes down the same trails and the unique atributes of each bike shine in different places, and sometimes in the same places. The one thing I truely enjoy about the 4t bike is the smooth predictable power, and the brute torque that it has. Doesnt matter what gear Im in or how fast Im going I can get the front end up to clear a log or what ever on demand. Where with my 2t machine I have to be prepared and know that the unknown obstical is comming up so I can get my machine set up (right gear, speed etc). But with my 2t machine it handles better, I really love the explosive power when the engine comes up on the pipe. Jumping the 2t machine comes naturally for me. Jumping on the 4t machine I have to think about. Even though my bike corners better than the 450 I do like the fact that with the 450 I dont have to down shift nearly as much. Get it in to 3 gear on our make shift track out on the hills behind the house and its all clutch and throttle. I have to work the gears on the 2t machine but when riding with my brother my lighter better handling machine (for me anyway) makes up the difference of just fanning the clutch a little coming out of a corner on the 450.

I hate to ride my bike with the kids. I know what some are going to say your not jetted right if this is the case. But I dont ride my 2t bike with the kids. It will load up and foul plugs quicker than :naughty: that pisses me off. But its because I jet my bike just a little rich for the extra fuel. Why? Because most of my rides have really big long steep hills and the bike likes it. So when riding with my kids I really enjoy the 4t because I can lug it all day long. Some times I have to go for a quick blitz to cool it off a little but its way better than my 2t for slow trails with the kids.

In all I like both bikes. Both have plus's and minus's, and I have no major objections to either. Infact if (2 smoke gods dont stike me down) 2 stroke machines went away totally I could learn to love a 4t machine. But untill then 2SMOKE. Oh one last thing I (my opinion) have found the 2 stroke engines easier to work on vice the 4 stroke machines. Simple tools for a simple design. I did a top end rebuild race with my brother on his 450 vs my 250. I was and had my engine partly broke in before he finished and started his bike.

James

Staff member
:thumb: Good points 2smoke, even though your name shows some bias. :P

I hate to ride my bike with the kids. I know what some are going to say your not jetted right if this is the case. But I dont ride my 2t bike with the kids. It will load up and foul plugs quicker than :naughty: that pisses me off. But its because I jet my bike just a little rich for the extra fuel. Why? Because most of my rides have really big long steep hills and the bike likes it. So when riding with my kids I really enjoy the 4t because I can lug it all day long. Some times I have to go for a quick blitz to cool it off a little but its way better than my 2t for slow trails with the kids.
I can vouch for this, as can KTMRack as it was his kid's 85 that I was riding during the TDay ride.:P

I contribute it to:

1. Me never having ridden a 2 stroke before, so it seemed like I was always a gear high.
  2. I was riding at somebody else's pace.

Rack (and I think it was bajataxi) did take me on a "faster" ride at the end of one of the days, were I was able to open her up. However by then I was so dead beat to do anything, hell I could barely start it after stalling it once. (hit some big rocks on this tiny hill) :bonk:

Next time. :ride: :smirk:

Ok I voted 2t even though I own both. I am a proud card carrying member of the PPRO (Preferred-Premix Riders Organization...yes I just made that up) and feel much more comfortable on a smoker than a 4t but Im starting to look at a certain bike for next year if my business will allow me to buy a new one. The new KTM 350 may be what I would consider enjoying on the technically stupid (we call it tech-nar) trails I really enjoy riding. Right now I do not feel safe in spending that much money on a bike in this economy but if I do pull the trigger on a new ride it could very well be a new 4stroke which except for a DS or SM bike, I would have never considered before.

I currently only have a 4 stroke, however after riding G Man's 85 I sort of want one. Mostly just to play around with and so that I can learn how to work on them (2 strokes). However my primary bike will stay a 4 stroke, they're just to much fun. :ride:

hey, do you want a ktm or just any 85

but that because its a kingtm i mean ktm:smirk:, i would have a ktm and be ktm_dude if i could afford one

You make it sound like it's an enoromous amount more than a Japanese bike...not like comparing the cost of a Porshe vs a Mustang which is $10,000's of thousands more. I'm thinking mabe $1-2k more MAX...if you're financing it, it shouldn't be that much more a month..I know for a car generally it's anothe $20 for evey 1000 and if you're paying cash, save up some more.