2 gauge shot gun

That is totally crazy. I like how two people had to carry it. How would something like that possible be used though. I think you would have to be 12 feet tall in order to hold that thing and shoot it. Since they said it was "old" it mush have been Paul Bunyan's gun because no mere mortal could shoulder that thing.

I wonder what it was made for?

Paul Bunyan's turkeys no doubt. :thinking:
That is totally crazy. I like how two people had to carry it. How would something like that possible be used though. I think you would have to be 12 feet tall in order to hold that thing and shoot it. Since they said it was "old" it mush have been Paul Bunyan's gun because no mere mortal could shoulder that thing.

I wonder what it was made for?

I found something that shows the bore size of the beast. A 2 gauge is 1.32 inches. That's a big boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_%28bore_diameter%29

These giant shotguns were generally called "punt guns" and were mounted on small boats called "punts." They were used in the late 19th century to hunt birds. With just one shot you could get a good part of a flock. After big declines in bird populations they were banned from hunting.

They made them even larger with bores up to two inches and even larger. :eek:

I found something that shows the bore size of the beast. A 2 gauge is 1.32 inches. That's a big boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_%28bore_diameter%29

These giant shotguns were generally called "punt guns" and were mounted on small boats called "punts." They were used in the late 19th century to hunt birds. With just one shot you could get a good part of a flock. After big declines in bird populations they were banned from hunting.

They made them even larger with bores up to two inches and even larger. :eek:

Good job Cleonard! In addition to what you said, these guns were used to hunt game birds of all varieties for commercial sale to restaurants and groceries in the late 19th century until commercial hunting of migratory game birds was outlawed when they figured out they damn near killed them all in the early 20th century. A "harvester" of these birds got anywhere from fiddy cent up to $3.00 per bird depending on species. :prof:

I feel smart like James now! :redface: