Other 1993 Yamaha WR500 Top End Inspection

SRAD97750

Staff member
Measured the lower rod bearing play and found 0.000"
*This is a photo of the set-up, not the test itself.*
IMG_1952.JPG

Also took a wire brush to the crown and green scotchbrite to the skirt. Came out lookin' nice.
IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

Still undecided...
Run another 40 Hours? ($34 for gasket kit, pin, bearing, clips.)
Wait on a new piston kit? ($99.96 for kit, gasket kit, bearing.)
I will be purchasing this piston kit I found, regardless. 40Hrs is almost no time at all.
But, I would also lose sleep wasting a perfectly good piston based on hours alone...

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Measured the lower rod bearing play and found 0.000"
*This is a photo of the set-up, not the test itself.*
View attachment 24937

Also took a wire brush to the crown and green scotchbrite to the skirt. Came out lookin' nice.
View attachment 24934

View attachment 24935

View attachment 24936

Still undecided...
Run another 40 Hours? ($34 for gasket kit, pin, bearing, clips.)
Wait on a new piston kit? ($99.96 for kit, gasket kit, bearing.)
I will be purchasing this piston kit I found, regardless. 40Hrs is almost no time at all.
But, I would also lose sleep wasting a perfectly good piston based on hours alone...

There's a lot of hours on that piston already. $140 is worth it to me and with pistons it isn't what you see it's what you can't see that scares me. Isn't that why they X-ray airframes?
It's your call buddy but from one friend to another swap it out. :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
couple of straight edges works for me on the twist. be nice to know it is really in the center though. how much oil was in the crank case when you opened it up?
Forgot to check rod twist.
The crank had a light coating of oil all over and was sitting in a small puddle of oil when I turned it over.
Just how I like it.

Replace the piston. Just about aspect of a piston is engineered. What I see missing is the surface texture on the sides. The function is to retain lubricant. On the first as removed pic it appears to have been worn off over a lot of the sides. Looks to be almost all gone in after the wire brushing.

That said, you could just run it. On a two stroke it might just cause a tiny amount of excess wear.

A lot of times surface discoloration is just visual. I use the measuring devices, but sometimes simply running your fingernail across a part to see if it catches on something can identify issues pretty well.

In conclusion it's a big bore two stroke. As long as you don't seize it or run it really hard they can go way longer than the smaller two strokes.

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have to ask, wasn't that thing shaking more than usual?
The day the motor mounts came loose, I noticed an increase in vibes immediately. The frame made a weird hum and gave it away almost instantly.

Before then, no noticeable difference. I have never had an issue riding it all day. -BIG DAN:thumb:

The day the motor mounts came loose, I noticed an increase in vibes immediately. The frame made a weird hum and gave it away almost instantly.

Before then, no noticeable difference. I have never had an issue riding it all day. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Didn't you have the crank rebuilt?

Yeah, I had the bottom rod bearing/pin replaced when my play reached 0.001"

Why do you ask about the vibes and crank?

When they vibrate more than usual it's a sign that the crank or rod may be twisted or out of balance. I really like your wr. It's a really really sweet bike. :drool: so I want to see you enjoy it for a very long time :thumb: