2 Stroke 1989 cr125r build

Continuing from previous thread: Cr125 guys plz help
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...hreads/Cr125-guys-plz-help.9819/&share_type=t

Almost buttoned up
b334fd27b81358a3bc74b79c8129c3d9.jpg

Lots more to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Been pricing out cylinder work for my new sleeve installation. I’m going to reinstall my current setup with a hone and new piston and rings. I want to make sure the bottom end is good before I drop $400 on the top end. Hoping to have more done tonight.

They aren’t in good shape. Don’t know if it’s due to working all day and staying up all night, but I can turn the engine over with a socket on the crank, but the Kickstarter will not move it. Not looking forward to the investigation. Any ideas?

I forgot to align the kickstart shaft. Fixed that. And is it possible to have the inner basket too tight? When I loosened it a bit, everything worked again. I have not installed the clutch plates to check for function. I’m also having a very difficult time getting it into neutral. I had it in neutral before I put the clutch components in. I think im trying to cram too much stuff into my day right now. Forgetting things. Hopefully that hasn’t caused me to damage anything. If it has... cases coming back apart. Any input on the clutch question would be wonderful

Balls.. I think I know what it is... I’m pretty sure I installed an extra washer in the tranny. Should be on the shift shaft. Well, I think the rebuild will go way faster this time around. I just read another thread and that makes sense. If I don’t torque it all the way, it works. Otherwise, nope! Tickle my pickle and (insert some bs). I need more rest.... fook

Or, I could just have the washer on backwards. Apparently that makes a difference too. Screw it im going to try everything. Easiest to hardest. Sleep deprivation is really killing me right now, I’m gunna shut up. I’ll post what I find when I’m not acting high.

I’m back! I started my first real job back I August so I heave been very busy. I’m working on Boeing 767s and a xo-worker has inspired me to revive this build. I also want a tiny stock of parts because I know how these old Honda’s go. Great until all the parts are dried up. Does anyone know if a 1990 engine is compatible with the 89?

I’m back! I started my first real job back I August so I heave been very busy. I’m working on Boeing 767s and a xo-worker has inspired me to revive this build. I also want a tiny stock of parts because I know how these old Honda’s go. Great until all the parts are dried up. Does anyone know if a 1990 engine is compatible with the 89?

contact @Redordead89

In short yes but....
Just checked through a a few different schematics pages between the 89 https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cr125r-1989-k-canada_model2735/partslist/F__2001.html#.XJpvHmtYCK1/

And 90 https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cr125r-1990-l-usa_model590/partslist/F++22.html#.XJpurGtYCK0

The main frame and front pipe part number changes 89-90 as above in the fiche so a little fab work possibly, the CDI, and swingarm pin check out as the same for both years as do many other parts!
Biggest issue would be if the front mounts were moved between years but I highly doubt it!

BTW Honda have a couple of big sheds in Belgium with a plethora of 89 CR parts! :thumb:
They also recently started reproducing parts for them the 250 and 500!
If you speak nicely to your local dealers parts guy I'm sure they can do some shipping to the US!

If you don't already have them use the schematics links above to cross reference both bikes!:prof::ride: