2 Stroke 1986 cr250r restore

OK so I'm a big ATV guy but just got a free 86 250r bike was sitting for years in heated garage it looks to be almost stock mice made there home in the air box and gummed up carb with shit I cleaned carb really well drained all fluids pit fresh gas and gear oil in and it started 3rd kick has great compression so I rode it today and the thing is fast tons of power so I love the vintage look and gonna restore to original or close to it here's some pics of before and after I broke it down I'm pulling motor tomorrow any help or input on things I should look for I've rebuilt plenty of ATVs just not a dirtbike

IMG_20150104_173925_601.jpg

IMG_20150105_180327_602.jpg

IMG_20150104_155329_370.jpg

will do does anyone know what a good ratio is i remember i used to run 32 to 1 in my blaster i think that would be good and also recomendations for gear oil?

Not sure what's recomended, but any motor oil that does NOT have friction inhibitors would be ok, even good ole ATF can be used, imo it doesn't matter as much what you use as much as changing it often, I might change mine as often as every or every other ride if I think I might have got any water in there

By the way....welcome to DBA Shane.

Not sure what's recomended, but any motor oil that does NOT have friction inhibitors would be ok, even good ole ATF can be used, imo it doesn't matter as much what you use as much as changing it often, I might change mine as often as every or every other ride if I think I might have got any water in there

By the way....welcome to DBA Shane.

Can't go wrong with rottella 15-40
Or honda gear lube.

My 87 cr500 lived since 88 using atf except for twice. point being that about anything will make your transmission happy as long as your clutch likes it.

If you could find an original fender for your 86, it probably said the same thing that my 87 said about oil mix.
20-1. the real test for me on oil ratio is how much you find in the bottom of the cases when you tear down. sometimes you can check a little easier by removing the reed block, if you can see the top of your crankshaft. If you can rotate the crankshaft over and see oil on the side that was down after say 12-24 hours you have plenty. I start gettting nervous if I am seeing none. There are those among us who feel that it is the oil left sticking to things that oils your bike more than the very small amount that comes in with your fuel, and that you are merely replenishing that oil as the bike runs. the original oil comes from assembly oiling.

That's a bad ass bike, Rick Johnson edition lol 28-32:1 fuel to oil on most 250s as a general rule. Bel ray gear saver would be best for the case 750 ml I would assume it should be labeled by the fill cap

I have a few sets of them. Really nice upgrade to the xr250's and the xr600's built prior to the 91. heck the stem bearing size is the same as the xr200 as well.

The second chamber probably needs some help by now too, in order to be at it's best.