1983 YZ490

Hello I have a 1983 YZ490 that I payed 300 bucks for. It's in pretty rough shape. It's a 1983 from what I can gather from the serial number. But it's white and also jade the red shock, shock covers, and red Mono cross stickers. From what I know the 83 was yellow but I also know that there was a white euro model out in 83 too. I'm planning on restoring it. Just wondering if anyone else knows more about what color it's really supposed to be and from what I know the frame was supposed to be red for the euro model of this year but its black. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 34
Cool bike, i have a couple friends that really like those things. I can't really help you much as far as the colors go. I wonder how helpful Yamaha would be if you called an gave them your vin?

I think the first year for red bikes in the States was 86. Everyone was hot on switching to red, and white because that's what was in Europe, and you know everyone wants what they can't have. I have a 82 490 that I had restored, but then rode the shat out of it. Someday it will be gone through again.

83 490's came in both colors. Red and white was more popular here on the eastern seaboard and I'm not sure if any were sold on the left coast..