Other 1978 XL125 problems

My cousin Dalton was recently given a 1978 XL125, and it is a sweet bike. It wasnt running when he got it, but with a little work it fired right up. Here is our problem, The bike starts with a few kicks, and idles ok but when we go to hit the throttle it bogs really bad and wont even run at full throttle in 1st. It will cruise around with a slight twist of the throttle but when its opend up nothing happens. It starts ok, not great, and it idles ok, but not great. Any thoughts? let me know if you could... thanks :thumb:

WP_000217.jpg

Cool bike huh?

The carb is squeky clean, and there is no rust in the tank. I was thinking the floats were off a little, does anyone know the float specs for this little bike?

I took the carb and submerged it into a carb cleaning solution and let it sit for a few hours. When I took it out the stuff was brown and nasty, then I took the carb spray and sprayed out all the jets and everything else. Its clean that's for sure. and there is no rust in it.

Thats a sweet looking bike. with a little TLC it would be cherry!

pull the jets and clean them individually, then pull apart the fuel shutoff valve and clean that.
Good luck.

Unless the floats are way off I still say it's crud in the carb. I've had to clean several times in order to get a old neglected bike to run correctly again. When you think it's clean enough, keep cleaning. If it's not that then it's almost for sure something else carb related like a missing part or something was put together wrong.

I don't have the particulars for that bike, but usually the float is level when the valve closes. Hey speaking about the float, it's not in upside down is it? I've put them in that way and the bike sure doesn't run right.

There is a small chance that it's ignition related. I've had the condition where the spark is good enough to fire at idle, but the denser charge of wide open stopped the spark. New plug perhaps?

The spark plug is new. And I have a question about the pilot jet, it doesn't come out. It doesn't have threads or any thing to take it out, no flat head or hex head. Am I missing something here? And ill see if the floats are right, im not the first person who tore into this, so ill check it out, thanks guys.

Its there, I think haha, I'll get a picture on here to show you what im talking about. Its a size 40 jet, but it can't be removed. And the floats look like they are upside down, but the way they go in is the only way they will fit. I'll get a picture of that to, I'll get those tomorrow right now the gas fumes have gotten to me so im just relaxing.

The carb is squeky clean, and there is no rust in the tank. I was thinking the floats were off a little, does anyone know the float specs for this little bike?

You still have to pull it apart, carb grime is very hard to persuade...

Very nice bike though.

Sorry i was out riding all day having fun in the rain and mud.

Here are the carb pictures, you can see the main jet in the middle, and the "pilot"-jet in the usual spot. Not sure if it is, because it cant be removed. The floats look like they are upside down, but that is the only way they fit in the carb. I thought maybe the main jet was to short and just using fumes so i put an extension on it and then it was too long. Anyway take a look please and let me know what you think, but it seems to be all there.

WP_000226.jpg
WP_000224.jpg
WP_000225.jpg

Floats look like they are upside down. On every XL and XR I've ever owned the flat part of the float was at the top. If installed upside down the bike ran like crap.