1977 Suzuki GS750 issue

Ok, I did some more trouble shooting. The 2nd carb from the left has an air leak. The exhaust is noticeably warmer, and if I spray WD40 on it the rpms change. I'm going to rebuild the carbs and replace the Gasket or O-ring where the intake boot mounts to the head.

Big Dan, so far the parts I need are:
Front brake master cylinder
Rear brake master cylinder
Left mirror
Gas cap
Ignition switch W/ keys
The plastic covers on both sides of the bike. They cover the electronics on the left side, and the other on the right side covers the rear brake reservoir and battery tray.
The headlight bucket? Just the black plastic piece that the headlight mounts in.

If your have any of these, give me some prices and we will talk business :thumb:

Last edited:
Pulled my carbs today. I found two problems that could have cause lean conditions.
#1 the left 2 carbs clamps that hold the carb to the intake boot were completely loose.
#2 when I had the bowls off of the carbs I held the assembly up and the 2nd from the left carb float hung down less a decent amount.
The carbs that had loose clamps were also the ones running lean. So hopefully that was my problem.

If I remember correctly that vintage GS is a points style ignition. Check that they are adjusted correctly and that they are in good shape.

You are correct, it is points ignition. So I got my carbs back on. The bike will idle now but was still running funny. So I pulled my plug boots and the second from the left cylinder had a bad spark plug. When I pulled the boot nothing changed. So I need to go get some new plugs and try it again. I'm curious why the bike was not shaking or anything running unbalanced?

Speaking of tires it's a good idea to take a good look at them. Old neglected bikes often have old neglected and rotting tires that can fail at a bad time. It's not just what they look like. Check the date codes. I'm generous and I'd go with five years, but when you get to ten it's starting to get too old.

Of course I try to spend the minimum until I know a project bike like this is worth spending the $$$ on. Seems like you have this one going so the fixing and spending can begin.

Did a little polishing and painting, as well as some muffler de-muffling. Bike is starting to look better. Need to get that gas tank fixed, Wheels polished or painted if they are too far gone. Here's when I first brought her home, and how she sits currently

20140817_143801.jpg

20140808_214347.jpg

Rode the bike for the first time today. The left side still seems to have some issues. It doesn't seem to be running right at lower throttle levels. If I give it gas it sounds good and accelerates smooth. At low throttle it seems to have a little hiccup and unsmooth sound. Maybe I need to adjust my fuel screw on the bottom of the carb and clean out my pilot circut?

Pulled the carb apart and the pilot jet was clogged. I also came to realize that the fuel mixture screw taper was broken off. All on the same carb that was on the cylinder giving me problems. I'll get new screws and see how she runs.

Attachments

• 20140819_191834.jpg
    20140819_191834.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20140819_210438.jpg
    20140819_210438.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20140819_191834.jpg
    20140819_191834.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 3