125R or 250F

I am 14 years old, i currently ride a Yz 125 and find it a little difficult riding on trails with it. It feels too racey and its a little hard to keep in the pb. Would getting a 250F make it easier for me? I live in Wasilla Alaska and dont race, just trail ride.

I ride some of the trails you probably do,and if your looking for something that feels light but still will get the job done easier at say Jim creek or sutton, maybe a KTM 200, and if your looking at 4 stroke, then a wr 250 would be better than a MX 4 stroke. But if you swamp the bike, a 2 stroke is much easier to revive.

Im looking at something like a Crf 250. I am trail riding right now but MIGHT start racing later on. I want something that can still get up and go on straight aways but is managable on trail.

What are some things that will make it better for trail riding? Im thinking a bigger tank and probably just some hand guards.
If you plan on doing any MX i would not get an oversized tank. Around here people don't like them in the trails even because its just un-needed weight when your never more than a couple miles from the truck. Handguards are super nice to have in the trails though and can be removed pretty easy for mx so you dont break your wrists :thumb:

If you plan on doing any MX i would not get an oversized tank. Around here people don't like them in the trails even because its just un-needed weight when your never more than a couple miles from the truck. Handguards are super nice to have in the trails though and can be removed pretty easy for mx so you dont break your wrists :thumb:
Up here, I've got a 3.2 gallon tank on my RM and sometimes am 40 miles from the truck, I'm gonna upgrade to the 3.3 gallon tank on the 300 XC from 2.6 for the same reason, but tanks are easy to swap on race day, if you keep the OE tank

I live pretty much on a riding trail. Most of the time i find myself heading home because i have to gas up. So i would be getting a larger fuel tank. Also natural colored so i can see how much fuel i have left.

125 is cheaper to maintain, 250f is easier to trail ride, I ride my 125 on the trails with no issues, just shift more. If you don't like that try getting (based on your pic) a stock YZ pipe and see if that brings the powerband down a tad. After market pipes, fmf and procircuit pipes tend to give the bike more power through a more free flowing exhaust. This is great for mx or someone who can really rip the bike through the woods. However, the average rider needs the powerband lower in the RPM's so they have more usable power. I tried dual stage reeds and a reed spacer on my bike, I love the dual stage reeds, I really do not like the reed spacer, It made my bike really difficult to tune properly, but you have a completely different bike and your experience will vary. Another good option that is easy to add on is a flywheel weight. This takes no power from the bike, but will make the engine chug better and make it more difficult to stall. On a 125 i recommend the smallest FWW possible if thats the route you are going, there isn't enough rotating mass in the engine to dignify a 12oz+ FWW.