125 wanted

Craigslist is your friend. Cycle trader is next friend. Recycler might yield partial friendship. And the classified sections in motorcycle forums can come in handy.

And Luke,
I am not your father... No need to come to the dark side and rule the planetary system together.

Welcome to DBA

Offer when you see and test. Offering over an email, text or phone is never taken serious. Cash in hand and checking the bike over is the most important of all. Look for crushed radiators, broken plastic, dented rims, loose/missing spokes, side cover,frame wear, etc. Then you might see it as even less...

EDIT:
Just looked at the ad. Looks like the guy is not a well maintainer! Dirty bike, beat up chamber, Not something I would offer over electronic but in person for sure, bring 1450 max and start at 13 waiving it at them.

Last edited:
Fyi I like Hondas. But they made some edsels. The one you offered way too much for even in Alaska is to me more like a turd made by a. Edsel.

Do like Palmer suggests and see it and RIDE it before you make an offer with this twist: if you see a bike with a price you won't meet no matter what you may want to pick the $ you would pay and say something like "if you think you can accept x, I will come look. It's my ceiling on that model though". Palmer and I both buy multiples annually. My favorite 2001 125 is/was the yamaha. As hard as it is to say for me, the Suzuki was a better bike than the Honda was then and until they quit making them both. Unless you are completely track oriented, stay away from the 5 speed rigs. Yamaha included. If you are totally off-road and you find a ktm 6 speed buy it. Lots of flexibility in modding that one. Fyi it is easier to turn the yamaha or KTM 5 speed into a six speed than it is a Honda.

Last edited:
Fyi I like Hondas. But they made some edsels. The one you offered way too much for even in Alaska is to me more like a turd made by a. Edsel.

Do like Palmer suggests and see it and RIDE it before you make an offer with this twist: if you see a bike with a price you won't meet no matter what you may want to pick the $ you would pay and say something like "if you think you can accept x, I will come look. It's my ceiling on that model though". Palmer and I both buy multiples annually. My favorite 2001 125 is/was the yamaha. As hard as it is to say for me, the Suzuki was a better bike than the Honda was then and until they quit making them both. Unless you are completely track oriented, stay away from the 5 speed rigs. Yamaha included. If you are totally off-road and you find a ktm 6 speed buy it. Lots of flexibility in modding that one. Fyi it is easier to turn the yamaha or KTM 5 speed into a six speed than it is a Honda.

They seem to get a lot more in your part of the country than I would expect. I would really wonder why he just had 1300 put into it just to sell it. If it is close take a look. the engine was about the same one that they had until the 2005 model. What do you plan to use it for?

They seem to get a lot more in your part of the country than I would expect. I would really wonder why he just had 1300 put into it just to sell it. If it is close take a look. the engine was about the same one that they had until the 2005 model. What do you plan to use it for?
I plan to use it for riding on trails. I don't race or anything

well you might think long and hard about a bike that may have had some cylinder work that included some aggressive porting. they dont make very good trail bikes. if it was me looking for a 125 right now it would be for play and trail as my two current yz's are. both have big bore kits, and one has the port timing retarded for better low end. they are both light and quick. the late 90's yz's have a reputation for having soft gears. I have not found that to be the case, but myths become truths if lots of people keep repeating them. I have a 98 engine on hand currently that is going to go into one of my rigs when i wear out an engine. it will take some milling on the pivot mount if i want to put it into the 2003 frame, but more likely it will end up in an older (95 frame) . anyway, i would probably look for a low price worn engine and good frame and wheels. I can find those for well under 800 when i look patiently. running but worn out, then go for a new topend with the big bore and a new rod. then you are into a great engine and complete bike for under 15 if you shopped good. that is just me though.

if that man really did have his yz built from the crankshaft up you may be able to trade his cylinder and head for cash and a worn one to have redone and come out good if you can get him down to say 11.

Last edited:
I would gladly take another steel framed cr125. Wasn't what he asked about and it darned sure wouldn't be for that kind of money. Had those in144 too.