07/14/10 Barona Oaks Fender View + New Jump For Me.

Another week out at the track. This week i finally got myself a chest guard and picked up a new jersey which matches my pants for 12 bucks on clearance at Cycle Gear :rocker: As well as some new goggles i traded a old record player i had for. I also had the chance (thanks to a real cool kid at the track) to try out a Leatt neck brace. it was a medium, i did two laps and i felt like i was in a rear naked choke hold the entire time. I think i need a large and that is gonna be my next purchase.

As for the riding its mostly the same. There is a couple jumps you all have not seen me do yet. One is a double/small step up and the other comes at the end of the 2nd posted video. That's the one I'm stoked i even tried. Like always I'm still working on being smoother and being able to stay out on the track for more then 4 laps without feeling like i cant even hold on anymore. Today was pretty hot out so the most laps i did was 3 and that third one was sketchy as hell(not in the vids).

Anyhow on to the vids themselves. The first is nothing real special except me doing the double that i spoke of earlier and the view is that of the front fender, which i really like and will prolly do more of. The second is 2 laps and then pretty self explanatory so you will have to watch it to see.

Don't forget to watch in HD its much more enjoyable.

As always i am 100% open to critique so if you see(i know its hard to without seeing me in the frame) me doing something i should not POST it letting me know so i can work on that.

PS.... i know i need to work on my 3 and sometimes 4 finger clutching technique... need to get that down to 2 finger pulls.

Nice videos. You are looking pretty comfortable out there. You have a long reach for that clutch lever..

Oh your helmet is a Size Medium by the way..:smirk:

James

Staff member
Cool videos as always :thumb:

You said critique, so... :smirk:

Can't really see from the videos but your inside foot goes up by the front wheel and not out to the side. The point is to weight the front wheel, not to catch yourself if you start going down. For me if I stick it out to the side it also throws my balance off. This is something I still do every now and again. :bonk:

What's up with your clutch lever being out so far out? You can adjust it (move it in) so that you can keep a finger (or 2) on it at all times. Same with the front brake lever, can't see it in the video though so not sure if it's also sticking out like that.

You seem to have the jumps down, now go and work on those corners. :P The next time you go out just work on corners and forget about the jumping part. (I personally think there's nothing better then railing a berm. :ride:)

Edit:

Forgot about the Leatt. They don't make a large, only smalls and mediums. But the club does have 3 different size inserts, could just be that the other kid don't have the biggest insert in. Plus they do take a little bit to get used to, I now feel "naked" without one on. (I NEVER ride without it) And if not the Leatt, try the Alphinestars one. :thumb:

Nice videos. You are looking pretty comfortable out there. You have a long reach for that clutch lever..

Oh your helmet is a Size Medium by the way..:smirk:

took long enough for someone to mention that :P... when i purchased it i was ready to get a large but then the guy working got me to try on the Medium and for sure its a safer fit for me so i got that one.

Can't really see from the videos but your inside foot goes up by the front wheel and not out to the side. The point is to weight the front wheel, not to catch yourself if you start going down. For me if I stick it out to the side it also throws my balance off. This is something I still do every now and again. :bonk:

What's up with your clutch lever being out so far out? You can adjust it (move it in) so that you can keep a finger (or 2) on it at all times. Same with the front brake lever, can't see it in the video though so not sure if it's also sticking out like that.

You seem to have the jumps down, now go and work on those corners. :P The next time you go out just work on corners and forget about the jumping part. (I personally think there's nothing better then railing a berm. :ride:)

Edit:

Forgot about the Leatt. They don't make a large, only smalls and mediums. But the club does have 3 different size inserts, could just be that the other kid don't have the biggest insert in. Plus they do take a little bit to get used to, I now feel "naked" without one on. (I NEVER ride without it) And if not the Leatt, try the Alphinestars one. :thumb:

Never really noticed or even thought about the foot thing... :thumb: + roost for you james. That's something i can think about and work on next time at the track.

Clutch lever ... i think i will take your advise for that as well :thumb: + another roost for you(i can only roost once tho so ill have to get ya back a different time). Its funny when i was out there i dont think i look or even think about how many fingers i use. Then i get home and watch the vids and think WHY do i do that. The lever is bent a bit but im gonna adjust it now that you brought that to my attention.

I am still kinda scared of the corners and pushing my limits in them. Today alone i watched 1 guy ALMOST eat it right in front of me when his front tire went over the berm. Then later in the day a kid got SERIOUSLY hurt in one. I didnt see it happen but all of a sudden it got real quiet at the track and there was about 10 people all at one berm looking down. I guess what happened was a group of about 6 racers were out practicing with each other. One kid went down in the berm and the other kid behind him ran into that guys bike flew over the bars AND over the berm. He left and his friend told me he got a concussion, he didnt know where he was and they took him to the hospital. He did walk off on his own so that was a good thing. Anyway i know im gonna have to grab my balls and get over the cornering thing sooner or later anyway. Each week i get more comfy and learn new things like the foot in front not out advice.

yea i think when i go to make the neck brace purchase i will bring my chest guard and my helmet to the shop to try it all on before i buy just to make sure. That kid might have had it set up smaller and thats why i felt like it was choking my throat.

Also the goggles were such a cool score for me.. trading a old DJ'ing record player for some cash and the goggles is WIN. something sitting in my house i will never use for something i will use weekly if not more.

Good vids, love that HD:thumb:
You seem smooth to me! You even make that guy at the end of the first vid that flys by you look smooth:smirk:
I suck at track so all I can recommend:prof: is keep the hands off the balls and on the bars!

Thanks for the share:ride:

Good vids, love that HD:thumb:
You seem smooth to me! You even make that guy at the end of the first vid that flys by you look smooth:smirk:
I suck at track so all I can recommend:prof: is keep the hands off the balls and on the bars!

Thanks for the share:ride:

I've never tried that one...I can imagine the outcome if you got a little out of shape...:smirk:

Edit:

What ever happened to NOT using your clutch?? The clutch was only used at the start, other than that it was limited. Makes for easy down shifting especially if in a panic situation and high speed up shifting, better control of the bars (all fingers on the bars)...no expert, just what I remember guys (DeCoster, DeSoto, Tripes, Hannah, etc) doing waaaaaay back when! :ride:

What ever happened to NOT using your clutch?? The clutch was only used at the start, other than that it was limited. Makes for easy down shifting especially if in a panic situation and high speed up shifting, better control of the bars (all fingers on the bars)...no expert, just what I remember guys (DeCoster, DeSoto, Tripes, Hannah, etc) doing waaaaaay back when! :ride:

i dont know much but i never did that cause i thought it was bad for your bike in some way.

James

Staff member
:lol: Got me, yes that is the best way.(not using it) I use it more then I should, especially with my bike being a 4-Stroke where you can just "dump & go".