250F 06 KX250f loss power and smoke coming out breather hose?

Bike has always ran strong but one day it lost almost all of its power and smoke is coming out of the breather hose. It seemed to have top end power but nothing on the bottom. I'm afraid to start it back up. Valves are in check and timing is right. Drained the oil and it looked fine. I noticed a little bit of white stuff coming out of the breather hose though. what's the deal?

Bike has always ran strong but one day it lost almost all of its power and smoke is coming out of the breather hose. It seemed to have top end power but nothing on the bottom. I'm afraid to start it back up. Valves are in check and timing is right. Drained the oil and it looked fine. I noticed a little bit of white stuff coming out of the breather hose though. what's the deal?
sounds like a headgasket. Definitely would pull the head off before i tried again

SRAD97750

Staff member
To be clear, there was no water in the oil? How about oil in the water?
What were you doing when it lost all bottom end power? Would it idle? Would it rev normally, just no low end power? -BIG DAN:thumb:

I was just riding around my property like I normally do when all of a sudden it just bogged down and died. It seems to rev fine and idle in neutral, but when I put it in gear and go there is no bottom end to get it going so it dies. And no I didn't see any coolant in the oil when I drained it. And I don't think there's any oil in the coolant either.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Clean the carburetor would be Step #1.
Step 2 would be a new spark plug, fresh fuel, clean your air filter.
Rule out the easy stuff first. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Spark plug is good, always used fresh fuel, and air filter is always kept clean. I can go through the carb but I'm not sure that's it, this problem happened instantly, its not like it gradually got worse.

Check you're head gasket and piston surface first if you can. I had an 07' that the gasket blew on and there was some scaring on the crown of the piston from the leak. While everything is apart, replace your cam chain if you haven't in awhile. The cam chains on the KX250F's losen up over a year or two pretty bad. :thumb: