250F 05 kx250f timing help

having a issue after new head and all.
trying to get the bike in timing, I am sure how to do it and all.
I can't seem to get the timing dots that line up to the head correct.
If the right one is on then the left one is off!! its confusing me badly.
It seems like the left cam is off one tooth but it also looks like if
I move it, the dot will be back to far past the head. CONFUSED!
any help thanks!

James

Staff member
having a issue after new head and all.
trying to get the bike in timing, I am sure how to do it and all.
I can't seem to get the timing dots that line up to the head correct.
If the right one is on then the left one is off!! its confusing me badly.
It seems like the left cam is off one tooth but it also looks like if
I move it, the dot will be back to far past the head. CONFUSED!
any help thanks!
How old is the cam chain? Always replace that after new valves etc.
Also does the exhaust have to be hooked to the head while trying to get it to crank?
Crank? As in turning the engine over by hand to get the timing right? No it doesn't.

There should be 12 links between the two cams... Now I presume your talking about a KX250F??? On my old KX250F the dots weren't perfect but if you haven't replaced the cam chain that would also help. :thumb: Also IT IS POSSIBLE for the cam to slip or move/bend/rotate on the camshaft :thumb:

How old is the cam chain? Always replace that after new valves etc.

The cam chain is old I am sure, I have a new one somewhere, I will change it. Does the head require removal to do this?
Crank? As in turning the engine over by hand to get the timing right? No it doesn't.

Well if and when I try to crank the bike does the pipe need to be hooked in the head?

The dots are not perfect and I will try and change the chain, it was close so I kicked it, something sounds weird. I did make sure I turned them by hand to insure that I wouldn't bend a valve. It sounds like...
maybe to much air or something? thats why i asked about the exhaust needing hooked up.
it also sounds like, the only way I know how to explain is...
dropping something in water and hearing that blooop sound???

Yes, you do need to have the ENTIRE exhaust system attached for the engine to run NORMALLY. The exhaust system is designed to create a certain amount of back pressure. Without the exhaust the bike MAY run, but it isn't good for the motor... :thumb:

counted links in between the cams. i assume you mean from the right one to left just whats not touching teeth? I counted just links and didn't get 12. not sure how that's possible I got like 5. Unless you count 1 length as 2.

The dots are not perfect and I will try and change the chain, it was close so I kicked it, something sounds weird. I did make sure I turned them by hand to insure that I wouldn't bend a valve. It sounds like...
maybe to much air or something? thats why i asked about the exhaust needing hooked up.
it also sounds like, the only way I know how to explain is...
dropping something in water and hearing that blooop sound???

Yes with the exhaust discounted its going to have the BLOOMP sound... You dont want to run it without the head pipe on it..You can start and run it for a little bit witout the muffler on it.. But be sure the headpipe is connected...