What do you think of this bike for sale?

it is a set of forks that came off of an 86. the shock and the forks have much more travel, and the springs are a little stiffer. when they brought it out that way it as for bigger people, and they realized the market was more for smaller people on the 200, so it got shorter damping rods and a shorter shock with softer springs. i am sure i can get the shock and the dampers, springs etc into one of those large if it fits it ships boxes from the po and it would cost you about 20 dollars to get it to you. I dont have any use for the whole assembly if you wanted that. i think the legs are all the same, but I can send it however you want it. from the looks of things your lad is going to be ready for that xr200 with the short suspensiong within 18 months and it will be time for you to get an xr250 or xr400.

So I'm in the market for a cheap 2-stroke 250.
I found this 60 day old post for a 2000 yz250 for sale on CL;
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/5827303373.html
I text the guy this morning, 2 hours later he texts back.
I ask, "what will you let it go for?"
He says, "didn't you see the price in the ad?"
I said, "Yes, but that was 2 hours ago, and I've texted 5-6 other people about bikes today. Plus I'm driving right now and not in front of my PC"
He responds back with, "$650.00 firm"
Okay, so basically 1/2 of what he posted (1200).

So after a bit a texting while driving I call him. I ask if it runs. He says no. He says it used to run great, but he messed with the throttle something-or-other on the top of the carb, I assume he means the slide.

So I put it to you guys;
Is this a desirable bike?
Is their anything out of the ordinary about these bikes that I should be looking for?
And what do you think it should cost?
KBB trade-in is 915...
I'm going to look at it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I said, "Yes, but that was 2 hours ago, and I've texted 5-6 other people about bikes today. Plus I'm driving right now and not in front of my PC"

So after a bit a texting while driving I call him. I ask if it runs. He says no. He says it used to run great, but he messed with the throttle something-or-other on the top of the carb, I assume he means the slide.

So I put it to you guys;
Is their anything out of the ordinary about these bikes that I should be looking for?
KBB trade-in is 915...

So I put it to you guys;
KBB trade-in is 915...

if it can be kicked over and has spark I would do it. fast too

Guess who is the proud new owner of a 1999 YZ250...

Drove to the inner city hood of Phoenix, when I got there and the kid brought it out and I started looking it over, checked the VIN to see if it matched the frame, all the usual stuff, and was about to start checking for spark and what-not when I asked the kid if it would start.
He said it'll start when it choked only. I thought okay, we'll see what happens.
So I pulled the choke and it started on the first kick, and revved like a 2-stroke should.
I was sold right there. I thought no-way was it gonna start at all.

So after looking at for another 5 minutes or so I said, "I'm interested, let me see how much is left of my paycheck"
I whipped out $520 from a money envelope like the kind you get when you cash a paycheck and said "this is what I got".
Then I pulled out another 7 dollars from my pocket and he asked, "is that all you got?"
I said "that's it."
He said "I'll take that".
He helped me load it up, gave me a stand for it, and an extra ramp.

Now that it's home I see that it has a Jun 2016 California registration sticker, and a Clarke tank which looks to be oversize???, an FMF muffler, and possibly different handlebars.
Also looks like there is a lot of oily residue at the header pipe to cylinder attachment point.

Also, I must be "catching up" as M33 stated I need to do, cuz I have 9 bikes in my garage right now...

Last edited:
smokin deal! :banana:
Right?
And I needed one. As a single parent with a mortgage that dont make jack, this bike came along at the right time. An X-mas present to myself I think.
I wont be getting passed on the track anymore like I was last weekend that's for sure.
Now let's see if I can keep from killing myself with it.

And check this out - Motosport had a sale a couple weeks ago on tires, so I bought both tires for the KLX for $70.00. Well, the KLX needs a rear, but the front is good. The YZ needs a front, but the rear is good. They are exactly the right size.
It's because it's December. It's my month. The stars have aligned for me.

Last edited:
Just take it easy! Everybody gets passed sometime. I'm usually somewhere in the middle and I'm good with that.
When i ride mx it's me vs the track, and if I can drive myself home it's a win. The jumps I didn't clear this time will be there when I get back. have fun and Ride safe and will be a lot safer on the yz.
I say resist the temptation to put too many rides on her before a thorough inspection.

Just take it easy! Everybody gets passed sometime. I'm usually somewhere in the middle and I'm good with that.
When i ride mx it's me vs the track, and if I can drive myself home it's a win. The jumps I didn't clear this time will be there when I get back. have fun and Ride safe and will be a lot safer on the yz.
I say resist the temptation to put too many rides on her before a thorough inspection.
Thank you for that, and I hear you. I do hate being passed, but when I mentioned it before it was because of lack of horsepower to do so. I was on an XR200, and wasn't able to compete with the other riders.
I am way too old to be hot-dogging and have already badly broken my ego skydiving (my profession) so I know not to get too racy. And like you, I am also racing the track/myself.
I'm quite aware of what this bike can do, and have much respect.
My goal is to make it to work Monday morning, always. I cannot afford to be broken (again).
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
But thank you for the concern/advice., it is well heeded.
I am going to give it good once-over tomorrow before any serious riding happens. It's in pretty good shape, but it does have some issues, mainly carb at this point.
I am sure I will be here asking many questions soon enough as this is my first 2-stroke purchase, and I dont have as much experience with them as I do a 4-stroke.

I just took it for a spin around the block...holy christ this thing is fast.
And dude says it wouldn't run. Bullshit it wont run, it runs like a raped ape.
I hit the powerband and had to let off cuz it's dark, I'm in a residential area on asphalt, and dont have any lights, but holy-frigging wow.
There's a learning curve here for sure.
Now it's leaking fuel all over the garage floor.