What did you do to your car/truck today?

In 42 yrs of owning diesels from Allison's to Perkins I have never seen or heard of runaway diesels until recently. To say I'm shy in this topic is one thing but inexperienced to trucking I'm not. In his 65yrs of life my fathers family owned several truck stops, garages and fuel hauling company. My brothers now own their own trucking company and 1/2 my friends either work heavy equipment or fix heavy equipment and the other half usually own some sort of diesel machine.... Not saying it hasn't happened but one would have to neglect or remove all of the safety features incorporated into a motor.

In 42 yrs of owning diesels from Allison's to Perkins I have never seen or heard of runaway diesels until recently. To say I'm shy in this topic is one thing but inexperienced to trucking I'm not. In his 65yrs of life my fathers family owned several truck stops, garages and fuel hauling company. My brothers now own their own trucking company and 1/2 my friends either work heavy equipment or fix heavy equipment and the other half usually own some sort of diesel machine.... Not saying it hasn't happened but one would have to neglect or remove all of the safety features incorporated into a motor.
Its very well possible that the early ones, 50's or 60's, didn't have the saftey features built into them yet, I recall my dad saying that before they added guillotine valves you always kept a metal clipboard behind the seat.

At any rate, the 2t diesel went the way of the dinosaurs, ours was a 6v92 in a Kenworth W900A, and I've only heard them run a couple times, they have a unique sound. Heard one on the road the other day in an old peterbilt, no mistaking what was powering it.

Last edited:
Its very well possible that the early ones, 50's or 60's, didn't have the saftey features built into them yet, I recall my dad saying that before they added guillotine valves you always kept a metal clipboard behind the seat.

At any rate, the 2t diesel went the way of the dinosaurs, ours was a 6v92 in a Kenworth W900A, and I've only heard them run a couple times, they have a unique sound. Heard one on the road the other day in an old peterbilt, no mistaking what was powering it.

There's a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical inj that have safety checks valves and flow valves. You would have to pull the inj pump to dismantle the flow valve and crank the volume control all the way up. Been that way for a 100 yrs. wright bros 2t diesel radial engine.
image.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
There's a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical inj that have safety checks valves and flow valves. You would have to pull the inj pump to dismantle the flow valve and crank the volume control all the way up. Been that way for a 100 yrs. wright bros 2t diesel radial engine.
View attachment 24575
Are you talking about runaway diesels?
I was under the impression it was an oil leak at the turbo, feeding explosively hot oil into the motor. The oil becomes a supplemental fuel. :noidea: -BIG DAN:thumb:

Are you talking about runaway diesels?
I was under the impression it was an oil leak at the turbo, feeding explosively hot oil into the motor. The oil becomes a supplemental fuel. :noidea: -BIG DAN:thumb:

That's definately one cause that's most common, but worn rings causing excessive blowby.....that'll do it also. Guess if the engine in worn out enough, the runaway is a way of the engine deciding to take itself outa the gene pool, and if you don't believe machines can make they're own decisions?

image.jpg image.jpg

Not my name on the title but more work on the little freightliner. I don't know about anything else, but when I'm old the phrase "FL60" will probably result in sleep loss.
pulled the 3rd member, munched the ring gear, replacement is on its way

Dropped the transmission, you can't use 2nd, it spits the stick out violently