Thought for the day

I used to hop on my bike and ride the trails to the local track, others would haul their bikes and at 16 it never made much sense to me.
Now days if that was possible the track guys still wouldn't do that just because they might get their bikes and gear dirty in the process.

I'm sure he was treated for his injuries and was aware of the painkillers he was taking. It's called life, if it was me I would deal with it and move on.
These guys are given, encouraged even, to take high strength pain-killers (opioids, like Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Hydrocodone) regularly, like their candy.
They take them and feel invincible, I know all about it.
They are pushed on them, to keep them performing, which makes the teams money.
And after long enough time on them, you become physically dependent on them. Again, I know all about it. After I broke my legs skydiving, I dealt with this for 5 years afterwards.
And you dont get this way because you're an addict, you get this way because they are being handed to you like candy, and the unscrupulous Dr's make a ton by prescribing them to you, with free vacations to wherever...

Unless you've ever been in this type of situation you really dont know what it's like to be there.
The pharmaceutical companies are just a legal version of the heroin dealer on the corner. Blaming a a guy for listening to his Dr. (and to not to would now be considered a crime, or get you labeled mentally unstable (Lord forbid you ever disagree with a Dr!)) and inadvertently becoming dependent on opioids (heroin) is akin to shooting oneself in the foot.
The problem will never get solved by attacking the user, rather the dealer (Glaxxo-Kline-Smith, Merck, etc), should be held responsible, especially when they are the ones that hold the doctorate degree's and always tell you "it's okay, everyone is doing it."
I dont watch tv, but every now and again I see some of it, and I am disgusted at how far down the tubes we have gone.
Every commercial is about a pill that can cure whatever ails you.
We have strayed so far from what nature intended (pre-planned), that I cannot participate anymore.

These guys are given, encouraged even, to take high strength pain-killers (opioids, like Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Hydrocodone) regularly, like their candy.
They take them and feel invincible, I know all about it.
They are pushed on them, to keep them performing, which makes the teams money.
And after long enough time on them, you become physically dependent on them. Again, I know all about it. After I broke my legs skydiving, I dealt with this for 5 years afterwards.
And you dont get this way because you're an addict, you get this way because they are being handed to you like candy, and the unscrupulous Dr's make a ton by prescribing them to you, with free vacations to wherever...

Unless you've ever been in this type of situation you really dont know what it's like to be there.
The pharmaceutical companies are just a legal version of the heroin dealer on the corner. Blaming a a guy for listening to his Dr. (and to not to would now be considered a crime, or get you labeled mentally unstable (Lord forbid you ever disagree with a Dr!)) and inadvertently becoming dependent on opioids (heroin) is akin to shooting oneself in the foot.
The problem will never get solved by attacking the user, rather the dealer (Glaxxo-Kline-Smith, Merck, etc), should be held responsible, especially when they are the ones that hold the doctorate degree's and always tell you "it's okay, everyone is doing it."
I dont watch tv, but every now and again I see some of it, and I am disgusted at how far down the tubes we have gone.
Every commercial is about a pill that can cure whatever ails you.
We have strayed so far from what nature intended (pre-planned), that I cannot participate anymore.

While I appreciate your opinion, mine will not change. If you pushed drugs on me all day long, if you said I'd be fired if I didn't use whatever they put in their bodies, I would not waiver. The main reason for this is I am not an idiot, I know different people have different thresholds of pain, but the pain is there for a purpose, and if ignored you pretty much can't complain about what happens later. My wife was a nurse for many years before her back condition caused her to change carreers, so I do know what pain killers can do, additionally a member of my family has a history of heroin use, so I am well versed as to what that turns a person into. I therefore have no sympathy for people who willingly use that crap as this player was not forced to take them he could have quit and pursued another career as a college educated person he shouldn't have a problem there, but he did indeed choose to ignore his body's warnings and now it seems that he believes his problems are someone else's fault, which is a pretty sad but accurate commentary on the attitude and lack of accountability of many people in today's American society.

While I appreciate your opinion, mine will not change. If you pushed drugs on me all day long, if you said I'd be fired if I didn't use whatever they put in their bodies, I would not waiver. The main reason for this is I am not an idiot, I know different people have different thresholds of pain, but the pain is there for a purpose, and if ignored you pretty much can't complain about what happens later. My wife was a nurse for many years before her back condition caused her to change carreers, so I do know what pain killers can do, additionally a member of my family has a history of heroin use, so I am well versed as to what that turns a person into. I therefore have no sympathy for people who willingly use that crap as this player was not forced to take them he could have quit and pursued another career as a college educated person he shouldn't have a problem there, but he did indeed choose to ignore his body's warnings and now it seems that he believes his problems are someone else's fault, which is a pretty sad but accurate commentary on the attitude and lack of accountability of many people in today's American society.

I agree with Steve on this one. Granted we know more about the opioid addiction now than we knew 10 yrs ago but people need to be held accountable for their own actions.