Random Dirt Bike Riding Videos/Pictures

Interesting I have never been told that it was to prevent erosion, but I supose it could. 5000 is on the light side for many engines that cat and others made where 25,000 lbs can be found at the highest output. Cummins like Cat and the rest have engines that use an aluminum piston head with no plugs. They also have some engines that have all steel piston heads, some being of the articulated type.

Cat started using pistons with plugs like the one you picture there in the 50's. The higher turbo pressures they were getting were starting to burn and melt the crowns. The plugs were placed in the hottest spot or the one most likely to start the melt. Variations and other means were also tried to prevent melting, but as the engine companies were trying to increase piston life and limit smoking the side affect of having some heat during idle when the turbo pressure was almost nothing and the engines ran cool, the "plugs" lesser thought of advantage was more important.

If you haven't got a manual yet for that one you will love the original Caterpillar shop manuals.

new from Cat I will not be surprised. never had to buy one. my cummins shop manual that covers the three of the old big cam series engines I have was nearly 300 from cummins 25 years ago

Interesting I have never been told that it was to prevent erosion, but I supose it could. 5000 is on the light side for many engines that cat and others made where 25,000 lbs can be found at the highest output. Cummins like Cat and the rest have engines that use an aluminum piston head with no plugs. They also have some engines that have all steel piston heads, some being of the articulated type.

Cat started using pistons with plugs like the one you picture there in the 50's. The higher turbo pressures they were getting were starting to burn and melt the crowns. The plugs were placed in the hottest spot or the one most likely to start the melt. Variations and other means were also tried to prevent melting, but as the engine companies were trying to increase piston life and limit smoking the side affect of having some heat during idle when the turbo pressure was almost nothing and the engines ran cool, the "plugs" lesser thought of advantage was more important.

If you haven't got a manual yet for that one you will love the original Caterpillar shop manuals.
Right on. Very insightful thanks :thumb: My grandpa was a mechanic for CAT for 50+ years so it very well could be from the 50s. I don't have the tractor or any idea of what model it came from. He just gave it to me for my desk table

he can tell you about some really insane compression ratios then. high twenties on some of them. the concept is still in use, but as i said, the secondary benefit of that retained heat being cleaner burning engines at lower speeds and idling. but it is STILL used.

Last edited: