New guy looking for bike advice

I had a 99 kx250. Great bike, owned it for 15yrs. Sold it to a kid on here from Ohio and he loves it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it steered likes cinder block. It was easily compensated by steering with the rear wheel.

1600 usually means about 14 and that one already has about as many trail mods as you can put on a kx. it looks like it was done by a person who gave it some thought.

The 300 is a great trail bike, but for MX not as much, the engine is slower revving with more controllable power than a MX'er and the suspension is sprung with softer springs so not set up much for jumps. So it depends on what you'll use it most for. If you'll ride track more than trail I'd go with the KX.

You can set an MX bike up for woods but will find it difficult to use a woods bike for MX. You won't go wrong with any of these bikes tho.

I kind of differ here: If you had more mx experience I would agree with Mi a little more. Most people new to mx or track riding do better with a slower reving engine (the reason that you see people putting flywheel weights on) than the quicker ones. depending on the tank that comes on yours, the mxc usually having a larger one you might want to change it to one of the ones from a track oriented bike, and spring it accordingly. all those same adjustments you would make in reverse should you choose to take a track bike to do some serious woods work. Having build a few cylinders for both uses I find it easier to remove metal (porting for harder hitting power) than it is to add it back on to retard timing and make the ports smaller. As I recall the mxc has the close ratio transmission as opposed to the wider ratio exc of the day (one that I would prefer) so I think it would make a relatively easy track conversion. just leaving you looking for a flywheel/ignition if you want a real supercross type of feel to the engine.

hmm, looking at my area it seems easier to find tracks then trails. Have a few within a half hr drive where trails will be over an hour besides a few local fundraiser rides and I wouldnt consider the trail riding around here grueling by any means. Probably do 3 bigger trail rides a year and the rest will be playing around the house and probably hitting up some of the tracks near by. probably makes sense to go with the more MX oriented one?

Wish the 99 kx guy would have responded

personally given your description i would still go with the ktm, money is good on it too. considering you have a big tank on the kx and assuming that the original tank is still avail you might have the best of both worlds in that one. The KTM was in production longer and has lots more swapability, but the kx comes at a really great price if it comes your way at all. good position to be in.