250F I'm Back, Newish bike too

Yep lol, Flake flogged the poor thing for years after someone else did!! Finally got his "due" and now they are designed ALL WRONG. anyway, enjoy your rig and take reasonable care of it and you may get one to run 9 years or so.

Just find the issues and correct them or ride accordingly like anything else.

Man it's just too bad you didn't find that years ago. Back when you were in the 4th grade or so I got to get familiar with a yz250f. A couple of them. So we can trade back and forth on first and second year efforts if you want.

Ditto on the first several years of yello and green and we needn't leave out orange. Red and Orange probably made a bigger mistake in designing something that had a different looking valve train to most.

I haven't put all that many hours on my crf, but if I rode it as a cross country mount I am guessing it would wear really fast, as my 125's do. Pinned, they all wear really fast.

Yep lol, Flake flogged the poor thing for years after someone else did!! Finally got his "due" and now they are designed ALL WRONG. anyway, enjoy your rig and take reasonable care of it and you may get one to run 9 years or so.

Just find the issues and correct them or ride accordingly like anything else.

you know what kids like? bouncing their 250f's off rev limiters, I know my kid does... I think @Naturaledge has a kid who loves the rev limiter as well. :picard:

Pretty certain my first year Yamaha is still running like a champ with a 1/4 the parts/repairs as my honda. And its not just my honda, 2 of my best riding buddies had an 06 and an 08, the stories are pretty familiar, well except for the 08, he only rode it 12 hours before he took off for college.

Nowhere did anybody say any one of the bikes was perfect, first gen yamaha's for example would start shearing rivets in the flywheel, I know that one too, like I said, I own one and had to replace it. 2011 Kawi's were crank eaters, I avoid those (11 Kawi) just like I do 04-09 CRF250R's. Someone offered to buy mine as it sits (mostly in boxes) I declined, the 250r will make a good bike for my Dad whos up there in years and has a bit of a hard time throwing a leg over tall bikes like the wr and my kawi, he also won't be as hard on it as I was, so maybe their will be a rainbow in this bikes saga yet, Heck I might even take it for a ride here and there, because it is a fun little bike, when its running, heck for that matter I'm putting it together this week, taking it and every other 2 wheeled vehicle I own to Moab, where I'll let a couple of people who are new to the sport ride them down some of the easier trails.

Last edited:
If you left the cams in the stock timing arrangement those run like a tt for longevity. The wide ratio transmissions make a big difference when your revs can stay back down.

The price for two lbs and 2 hp is pretty high.

Ok. He and I are tied. Yeah. The crf may go longer for him. When I was your age no kne that was 63 was STILL riding a race bike. It took Calvin bottum a few more years, as I believe I was 26 when he hit 63. Rack can ask the people at Wilsons who Cal is. If you Google him you might see some Colorado 500 footage a few years old of him. I think he was 87 the last pic I saw.