250F I'm Back, Newish bike too

I'm sure this will be a good bike, buddy got 150 hours out of valves and piston before shimming them and throwing a new high comp piston in his 2013.

So before I put up a part out ad for my 05 CRF250R I thought I'd check here.

And yes, I feel like a total idiot for having to ask about what should be such a simple job.

The last time I raced my CRF the hot start cable quit moving, I noticed a kink in the sheath right where it goes into the perch, no big deal, I'll spend $14 for a new cable and we'll be going again. I got the cable, right bike on RMA, right part # according to every other site. Upon starting it, I realized it wasn't going to be as easy and straight forward as I thought, so after removing the subframe and upper shock bolt, I got the carb to where I could pull the cable, got the plastic nut out just fine, and after pulling the cable end came out, plunger was stuck with a lot of gunk around it, so I cleaned it and blew it out with an airgun and pull the plunger out with some needle nose pliers. Now this is where the real fun starts. No matter how I put it together, 90* elbow, nut, spring, plunger, the cable won't come through the end of the plastic far enough for me to get the plunger on. After trimming a little bit off of the metal part of the elbow I managed to get that accomplished, put it all back together and its a pita to get the hot start on at the lever, and my worst fears are realized when I fire it up, the hot start is pulled open due to the cable seeming to be too short, backfiring and all sorts of fun lean stuff, I disconnected the cable at the lever and the problem goes away.

I did compare the cables, they are identical.

I feel like an idiot because this should not be complicated and I've done way bigger jobs with success, but does anyone have any input as to what might be wrong? Yes the cable is adjusted full long, adjusters close together.

Also, does anyone know of a pull type plunger like the choke from another bike that I could used to eliminate the cable operated one?

Never an issue with that one on my 01 WR250F
wink.gif

Oh any threads on this?

This was under the Honda section as hot start famn ducking somthing or other, I don't know how to link but you can find it easy....there's some other threads somewhere. Flake just had a piece of shit, I. Sure your 4 skin will be fine.

This was under the Honda section as hot start famn ducking somthing or other, I don't know how to link but you can find it easy....there's some other threads somewhere. Flake just had a piece of shit, I. Sure your 4 skin will be fine.
I hope it will be a good bike! I bought a new one because fixing other people's duck ups is a pain in the arse... stripped bolt here and there. zip-ty holding this and that on, just got old. I found the thread, I also just saw that snow had an 05'...

I hope it will be a good bike! I bought a new one because fixing other people's duck ups is a pain in the arse... stripped bolt here and there. zip-ty holding this and that on, just got old. I found the thread, I also just saw that snow had an 05'...

Yeah.....it was an older one. But he's kinda still getting over it.....his new KX450 is helping him forget though.

I'm sure this will be a good bike, buddy got 150 hours out of valves and piston before shimming them and throwing a new high comp piston in his 2013.

Did he idle it for 150hrs???

There is one thing that 250f's do well and that's eat valves. Especially the Honda's unless it's an XR250 of course.
I would plan on checking them every 15hrs, replacing them every 30 and doing it again at 50hrs with a piston, cam chain and cam chain tensioner. Right @snowflake ?

Did he idle it for 150hrs???

There is one thing that 250f's do well and that's eat valves. Especially the Honda's unless it's an XR250 of course.
I would plan on checking them every 15hrs, replacing them every 30 and doing it again at 50hrs with a piston, cam chain and cam chain tensioner. Right @snowflake ?
I didn't have any problems with the valves for the 43 hours it ran after they put the stainless steel ones in it, but it was a major pig with the additional valve train weight...

Goodness guys, i'm keeping it! I wanted a 250F and no one on here has said anything about them owning and having issues with a 2015 CRF250R... I am saving my money up for valves just in case they do need to be replaced. I've got about about $450 saved for add ons right now, but I will continue saving so that I will have enough to just buy a complete head.

Goodness guys, i'm keeping it! I wanted a 250F and no one on here has said anything about them owning and having issues with a 2015 CRF250R... I am saving my money up for valves just in case they do need to be replaced. I've got about about $450
saved for add ons right now, but I will continue saving so
that I will have enough to just buy a complete
head.

Don't think anyone is trying to get you to think otherwise. Hey if ya like it ride it. I'm sure it'll be a great bike for you. And if it ends up being a turd, snow can refer you to his therapist.