Gas ratio

He'll leave that to you.......being the master debater an all.
Thats Master Beta.... As in 520RS
So when I put in a new top end it
Will run ok with 32:1. I have another question. It seems to not have a lot of compression, but it starts up first kick
Yes, but as Big D said, it will all change in the jetting, fuel mixture etc. also, get the manual and follow it. Also, pipe changes will change jetting also.
:smirk:I just finished a 242 mile drive at 80mph after a long days work so that's the reason I quoted myself, this time! However there are many ways a guy can go to mix your gas. I can say that after 40 plus yrs experience I have found the perfect mixture and I'm not telling anybody!
So you drink hard alcohol and piss in your tank?

Yes, but as Big D said, it will all change in the jetting, fuel mixture etc. also, get the manual and follow it. Also, pipe changes will change jetting also.

So you drink hard alcohol and piss in your tank?[/QUOTE

That is so close!

Before changing your ratio, you'll need to check what the jets are in the carb. If the previous owner jetted it for 56:1 and you change down to 32:1 then it will most likely run like shit even with a new top end. Get a OEM manual for that bike. Run what jets and ratio the manual says it calls for and adjust the jets to your temps and elevation accordingly.

Didn't I say that? :wink:

Before changing your ratio, you'll need to check what the jets are in the carb. If the previous owner jetted it for 56:1 and you change down to 32:1 then it will most likely run like shit even with a new top end. Get a OEM manual for that bike. Run what jets and ratio the manual says it calls for and adjust the jets to your temps and elevation accordingly.

Why you riding my coat tails bro-man-bro? :smirk: :hug:

LG, the 56-1 is lots leaner on oil than I would consider with the spectro. Now, remember when i said that your bike is likely very rich and that is why it starts well? You gave me one more reason to think that I am correct. I think your PO kept leaning out his mix to try to keep from looking like a mosquito fogger, kept going, probably fouls plugs still, and it was one of the reasons for unloading his bike. Usually I get them with lots of trick parts added because someone was trying to make the old sled work good again, but finally gives in to someone who has been telling him to just get something new.

My yz's 125's run really nicely on 20-1 mixes. They run very long for 125's too.

If it was mine, i would set the float and give it a short ride. if the jets that you find it in are more than two sizes leaner than what is called for in the manual I would get it back to within one to two sizes of what was in the rig when it was delivered and ride it and see if a plug looked white or bright gray. If not I would ride it and learn something about jetting. First up would be set the float, and put it back on a mix that the builder suggests.

My fears would not be about the former owner jetting for ANYTHING at this point. Second to that my fears of putting it on a 32 to 1 mix and changing the jetting to a dangerous point are tiny. If you do the math, you cant effect a whole mainjet size from dropping from 75-1 down to 32-1.

Anyway, the last guy put some bandaids on this one, as is the normal case, and it is one of the reasons you got it.

That nice rich condition that allows you to start easy cold and idle nice cold isn't your friend after about 10 minutes of brisk riding and a few downhills. Really sucks with ones which are tuned right seem to fly by you.

So right now I drained all the gas that was in it. My friends really want me to go riding now. Should my main priority be rejetting it back to oem right now, or ride a little bit and see if it is fouling plugs

So right now I drained all the gas that was in it. My friends really want me to go riding now. Should my main priority be rejetting it back to oem right now, or ride a little bit and see if it is fouling plugs

If it was me, and they want to leave right now i would give in, take a couple of br9es plugs with me and maybe one 8 range plug and go ride and dont hurt yourself.