Choices for first time

If you need braces you can honestly get some that I feel offer as good adjustment and support as the spendy ones for 30 dollars at walgreen's. wear the protectors over them and they are just slightly clumsier than without the knee guards in my case than the spendy ones.

i have some EVS knee guards now that fit well with the walgreen braces. a lot will depend on your boots. i have alpinestars (threes, sixes and eights) and highpoints.

Last edited:
If you need braces you can honestly get some that I feel offer as good adjustment and support as the spendy ones for 30 dollars at walgreen's. wear the protectors over them and they are just slightly clumsier than without the knee guards in my case than the spendy ones.

i have some EVS knee guards now that fit well with the walgreen braces. a lot will depend on your boots. i have alpinestars (threes, sixes and eights) and highpoints.

I have walgreens Muller braces from when I had knee surgery. One has the hinges so I will try that out. After Sunday my knee has been sore, which I know if I lose weight that will help a lot. I'm just going to try different things for a while to see how my knee feels. :-) Having crap knees is no fun!

So Sunday was my first day of riding on dirt. IT WAS SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!! Even though I was just trolling around the parking lot I managed to learn quite a bit. Rodger, the track manager who does lessons, helped me to get started. He explained the clutch and had me get a feel of when it clicks before I even turned the bike on. He explained some body positioning and basically the basics. There were a couple of other guys there that helped me unload and load the bike thankfully, and they were encouraging me also! It was a great feeling. I started just on the flat part, making super wide turns. After about 20 minutes I made it up to 3rd gear with out stalling once! As I went on I was able to figure out how to turn a bit tighter. A lot has to do with confidence of course. Since it was a mud bath I almost lost it a few times but recovered pretty well (aka I didn't fall). Slinging mud all over my self and the bike was awesome! The parking lot has a second level and I took that once. It was super muddy up there though so I made my way back, through the ditches back to some what flat land. There are some ruts and sink downs in the lot that I started to take with a bit of courage at my side. Standing up I went over them and rocked it! Ahhh the addiction has been made!!

Oh, and Rodger told me that if I wanted to get some more seat time in and practice the basics that I could come out to the track for a couple hours one day when it's closed. AND he won't charge me!!! Double win!!

I have walgreens Muller braces from when I had knee surgery. One has the hinges so I will try that out. After Sunday my knee has been sore, which I know if I lose weight that will help a lot. I'm just going to try different things for a while to see how my knee feels. :-) Having crap knees is no fun!
I had the right knee scoped, and had been wearing the brace before that. I never have had a set of the asterisks sized just for me, but I have worn some that were completely within the adjustment range that a friend has and i felt they were clumsier than my cheap ones, supported me less, my knee on the right was more on the sore side after a ride. There probably isnt anyway to make the Muellers give you quite as much crash protection though.

So Sunday was my first day of riding on dirt. IT WAS SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!! Even though I was just trolling around the parking lot I managed to learn quite a bit. Rodger, the track manager who does lessons, helped me to get started. He explained the clutch and had me get a feel of when it clicks before I even turned the bike on. He explained some body positioning and basically the basics. There were a couple of other guys there that helped me unload and load the bike thankfully, and they were encouraging me also! It was a great feeling. I started just on the flat part, making super wide turns. After about 20 minutes I made it up to 3rd gear with out stalling once! As I went on I was able to figure out how to turn a bit tighter. A lot has to do with confidence of course. Since it was a mud bath I almost lost it a few times but recovered pretty well (aka I didn't fall). Slinging mud all over my self and the bike was awesome! The parking lot has a second level and I took that once. It was super muddy up there though so I made my way back, through the ditches back to some what flat land. There are some ruts and sink downs in the lot that I started to take with a bit of courage at my side. Standing up I went over them and rocked it! Ahhh the addiction has been made!!

Oh, and Rodger told me that if I wanted to get some more seat time in and practice the basics that I could come out to the track for a couple hours one day when it's closed. AND he won't charge me!!! Double win!!

After reading this, I am even more convinced you purchased the right type of bike.

I had the right knee scoped, and had been wearing the brace before that. I never have had a set of the asterisks sized just for me, but I have worn some that were completely within the adjustment range that a friend has and i felt they were clumsier than my cheap ones, supported me less, my knee on the right was more on the sore side after a ride. There probably isnt anyway to make the Muellers give you quite as much crash protection though.
I've read and hear that they are "clunky" to some ppl. I'm not a fan of bulky things so I probably wouldn't like the asterisks. I'm going to try a compression sleeve under the cheep brace and see what happens

That is awesome!!!
Good job and keep up the good work. :thumb: