Choices for first time

ok, so the guy with the 05 is asking 2500 now. I told him that the KBB (kelly blue book) only values it at 1700 in perfect condition. It is pretty though lol

it is one i would look for as a basket case. that 2005 will need a lot. if you have to have a 250f i think i would be in the market for a yz250f. i went through a 2004 crf250 and i guess i like it ok, but the yamaha of the same era was quite a bit more durable.

it is one i would look for as a basket case. that 2005 will need a lot. if you have to have a 250f i think i would be in the market for a yz250f. i went through a 2004 crf250 and i guess i like it ok, but the yamaha of the same era was quite a bit more durable.

a basket case? The guy apparently has rebuilt the thing. I honestly over looked the fact that it's a 250. Thats probably not the best bike to start on. Too big! He said he'd take 1900 for it. List of recent work done: "New piston, crank, cam, valves, valve seats and all new bearings in the motor. New clutches a frame, new bars, break away levers, starts on first kick"

SRAD97750

Staff member
a basket case? The guy apparently has rebuilt the thing. I honestly over looked the fact that it's a 250. Thats probably not the best bike to start on. Too big! He said he'd take 1900 for it. List of recent work done: "New piston, crank, cam, valves, valve seats and all new bearings in the motor. New clutches a frame, new bars, break away levers, starts on first kick"
Receipts or it didn't happen. -BIG DAN :thumb:

What I was saying is, that if I was looking for a crf250 in that vintage I would look for a basket case and build it the way I wanted. (I would pay 3-400 for the basket case as I did 4 years ago) Kind of hard to imagine a guy spending all that money and selling for what he is asking. if his idea of just rebuilt is 10-15 hours of use, then it is now USED and probably used pretty well. Anyway, he probably knows what it's worth now.

I won't say that the crf was unreliable, stock with a few changes it is reliable. The difference in that one and the yzf is that the yamaha turned out to be very reliable just the way they come from the factory and allowing for modifications. The Hondas came with valves that were mismatched to their seats at least as far as reliability is concerned. To fix it right you spend 4-700 dollars. Stainless valves will take care of the metal mismatch, but you end up with heavier valves and "heavier" valve springs. both rob power.

Sooooo. I got a bike! 2003 CRF 230F! I rode it for the first time today and went around the block twice, in first gear lol. I'm scared of the concrete and cars!
It's a bit high for me but I can stand on my tippy toes. Getting use to the size and height is going to take a while I think. It's a kick @ss bike though hardly used!
I'm paying someone for lessons. They guy who runs the track is the best bet and I need it!

20151027_194116.jpg 20151027_194116.jpg FB_IMG_1445992965023.jpg 20151027_194116.jpg FB_IMG_1445992965023.jpg FB_IMG_1445992956867.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
Sooooo. I got a bike! 2003 CRF 230F! I rode it for the first time today and went around the block twice, in first gear lol. I'm scared of the concrete and cars!
It's a bit high for me but I can stand on my tippy toes. Getting use to the size and height is going to take a while I think. It's a kick @ss bike though hardly used!
I'm paying someone for lessons. They guy who runs the track is the best bet and I need it!
:clap: Awesome news! Let us know how the lessons go and post up a report or two!! -BOG DAN:thumb:

View attachment 27554 View attachment 27554 View attachment 27555 View attachment 27554 View attachment 27555 View attachment 27556

Congrats!!!!! That's a good looking bike and electric start to boot! Good luck and we better see some ride reports soon! :ride: :thumb:

Also get yourself a battery tender to keep that battery in good health. :cheers:

we were all wondering what you had come up with. it is a good choice, and palmer has tricked out at least one of those. lots of us did it's older brother the xr200 too. kind of look around or keep your eye out for some forks off of one the the 86-88 cr motocross bikes if you want to upgrade the suspension later. you can find them for 100 dollars pretty easy with triple clamps. my favorite for the 200 is off the 91-95 xr250 though. 41mm cartridge forks that are lighter with about an inch less travel than the ones off the cr's which are 43 mm. each works fantastic. you cant pay 1000$ on the old suspension and get something as good as you can for 100 that way. you can put the swingarm, disk brake, and linkage off the xr250 on there too. I want to say in 89 they started coming with the disk. so just somethings to think about if you want to upgrade later on. I have bought sour running xr250s' whole for under 400. the drawback is that you end up fixing those and riding them or selling them lol. and still need to hunt parts for your mod job.

anyway, keep it looking close to that nice and with very little money you can keep it running nice (rods and cranks on a stock engine last forever) and you can sell it for 90% of what you paid for it in a year or two I bet.

we were all wondering what you had come up with. it is a good choice, and palmer has tricked out at least one of those. lots of us did it's older brother the xr200 too. kind of look around or keep your eye out for some forks off of one the the 86-88 cr motocross bikes if you want to upgrade the suspension later. you can find them for 100 dollars pretty easy with triple clamps. my favorite for the 200 is off the 91-95 xr250 though. 41mm cartridge forks that are lighter with about an inch less travel than the ones off the cr's which are 43 mm. each works fantastic. you cant pay 1000$ on the old suspension and get something as good as you can for 100 that way. you can put the swingarm, disk brake, and linkage off the xr250 on there too. I want to say in 89 they started coming with the disk. so just somethings to think about if you want to upgrade later on. I have bought sour running xr250s' whole for under 400. the drawback is that you end up fixing those and riding them or selling them lol. and still need to hunt parts for your mod job.

anyway, keep it looking close to that nice and with very little money you can keep it running nice (rods and cranks on a stock engine last forever) and you can sell it for 90% of what you paid for it in a year or two I bet.

I'll have to re-read your post when I'm ready to upgrade. Kind of flew by my head haha.
I rode around the block again yesterday and went up to 3rd gear. I still have to learn the clutch, sound and feel for it but it's a work in progress!!!

BTW random question but any opinions on knee braces?

I'll have to re-read your post when I'm ready to upgrade. Kind of flew by my head haha.
I rode around the block again yesterday and went up to 3rd gear. I still have to learn the clutch, sound and feel for it but it's a work in progress!!!

BTW random question but any opinions on knee braces?
They are deff a benefit for people who ride/race hard. If you're just learning I wouldn't worry about them.