2 Stroke 1988 CR250R Wont start / Wet Plug

Ok I removed the two bolts with sealing washers that seal the rack in place. No difference. Valve seems like it wants to open, but only moves very slightly, maybe an eigth inch or so. I can pull valve open by hand which is under spring tension.

I removed the 4 valve covers and exhaust system. The valves seemed to me (newbie) that they move correctly. You can open them with force as they are under spring tension, and they snap back in to fully seat. They do not move in tandem. Are they supposed to? Who knows. I inspected the pinion shafts for straightness and teeth wear, they look good. I checked the "engagement" bolt hole that's by the waterpump that you turn to engage to hpp linkage and it was mostly disengaged. It would not engage without removing pinion shafts and moving rack over slightly. Then I get it to engage and everything is set up right, I start up bike, and still the friggen valves will not open. :foul:

Yes they should move in unison. I think your problem exists in the cases. Doesn't sound like the arm off the governor is engaged or there it some damage.

If you pull the valves open and use some gorilla tape to wrap around and keep them open you can get a hint as to what the future is.

I think this one is coming down.

Yes they should move in unison. I think your problem exists in the cases. Doesn't sound like the arm off the governor is engaged or there it some damage.

If you pull the valves open and use some gorilla tape to wrap around and keep them open you can get a hint as to what the future is.

I think this one is coming down.

Ok so you think it may be the cam spindle?

The second part of your post I do not understand. I tape the valves open then what? And what is coming down? Thanks.

Meaning you are going to tear it down again. That cam on the end of the shaft would be a prime concern. I seem to recall it riding In a slot on that spring loaded shaft that goes with the governor arm. But it's been about a dozen years since I have seen one. If I was home with the manual I might be a little more help. Did you have the governor apart?

Meaning you are going to tear it down again. That cam on the end of the shaft would be a prime concern. I seem to recall it riding In a slot on that spring loaded shaft that goes with the governor arm. But it's been about a dozen years since I have seen one. If I was home with the manual I might be a little more help. Did you have the governor apart?

Oh I see. Yes this is coming apart again, sucks! Here is a snapshot of the diagram, are you referring to number 19 or 20? I can't seem to find these parts for sale, even on ebay. I have not had the governor apart. But I just studied the manual on how to get that done and it sounds doable. And I have the gaskets. But even so, not sure how I'm going to replace those parts, if that is indeed the issue (which it sounds like to me).
Screen Shot 10-05-14 at 09.05 PM.PNG

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
Well this morning I drained the oil and coolant, removed a couple things, and took off the right side engine cover to get a look at things. I must say that everything appears to be in very good condition, and I can only assume it's been gone through before.
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

The now exposed spindle cam seems to operate and slide the rack very smoothly. Now I did think the detent engagement bolt was a little clunky before, and upon close inspection the little cam at the end does have scratching. I am praying at this point that perhaps the detent bolt was in the wrong position when the cover was last installed? I wish it could be that easy. My Clymer manual doesn't mention or show in any photo the correct position for the engagement bolt or spindle cam for installation which is frustrating. But all in all everything seems to be in decent shape so im not sure what's going on! Any ideas?? Thanks!!
003.JPG

well just being a mechanical critter with what looks like everything in working order it will just be a matter of correct reassembly and then adjustment.

well just being a mechanical critter with what looks like everything in working order it will just be a matter of correct reassembly and then adjustment.

I have spent weeks on this HPP stuff and haven't been able to fix anything. I need help with this for sure. Looks like the engagement bolt was in the correct position as well. The valves wont open.