Yamoto 150cc bad start when hot?

My Yamoto starts almost first try when cold. When hot, its a bit tricky. Sometimes I'd have to turn my choke on when hot and it'll start but sometimes I'd have to turn choke on, kick it once or twice then turn it off again and it'll start. I'm gonna clean the carb and see if that's the problem. Any other ideas?

SRAD97750

Staff member
My Yamoto starts almost first try when cold. When hot, its a bit tricky. Sometimes I'd have to turn my choke on when hot and it'll start but sometimes I'd have to turn choke on, kick it once or twice then turn it off again and it'll start. I'm gonna clean the carb and see if that's the problem. Any other ideas?
You are on the right track. Make sure to blow out all the passages and clear out all the idle jet's holes.
After that, I would make sure your idle mixture screw is properly adjusted, it can also lean out your idle mixture. 1-1/2 turns from lightly seated is a great starting place for most carbs. -BIG DAN:thumb:

You are on the right track. Make sure to blow out all the passages and clear out all the idle jet's holes.
After that, I would make sure your idle mixture screw is properly adjusted, it can also lean out your idle mixture. 1-1/2 turns from lightly seated is a great starting place for most carbs. -BIG DAN:thumb:
My bike would shut off when still cold and wouldn't idle so I adjusted the RPM screw to make it a bit more. Could that be the problem?

SRAD97750

Staff member
My bike would shut off when still cold and wouldn't idle so I adjusted the RPM screw to make it a bit more. Could that be the problem?
Sounds like it needs an idle mixture screw adjustment. Lean condition causes hard starting. The Idle Speed screw would not effect the mixture, but will raise the idle speed whether cold or not. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I found yer problem in the other thread. This tape/RTV is not a proper repair for an intake.

1.jpg

The intake must be sealed airtight. This is your hard starting and air leak when it's hot, I recommend replacing with new.

I marked your idle mixture screw with blue. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
First of all, the RTV/tape on the intake boot is not going to allow you to adjust this correctly. It will be incorrect or ineffective.

Once you have fixed the problem. Here are the steps.
(For Fuel Screws)
-Set idle mix screw to 1.5 out turns from lightly seated while the bike is cold.
-Get the bike HOT. Not warm, not within the first 15 minutes... HOT. Hot. I'm not kidding, don't waste you time until the damn thing has been run hard for 15 minutes straight. Hot.
-Set your idle speed screw so the idle is a bit high. Approx. 1500-1700 rpm.
-Turn your idle mix screw clock-wise (IN) until the idle speed peaks.
-Turn the idle mix screw counter clock-wise (out) an 1/8th of a turn. This is a slight enriching for safety's sake.
-Set idle speed screw back down to normal idle. Approx. 800-1200 rpm.

-BIG DAN:thumb: