Other Yamaha DT175

I recently got a Yamaha dt175 and it could use a rebuild (110 compression). I have some OEM Yamaha yt175 (3 wheeler) rings I bought awhile back. I was wondering if those rings would work on the dt175. Both have a stock bore of 66mm

SRAD97750

Staff member
That is a tough question, as the way the ring fits the piston is important as well as the bore.
Let me cross reference P/Ns and I'll get back to you. -BIG DAN:thumb:

We did alot of swapping back then with the oe parts. if your two donor rigs have the same bore as your onhand parts I would use them if they fit the ring grooves and give a ring gap from about .012" out to .018". Lots of times in the life of something it will get some other piston made by another company, wiseco being really common and stock rings may not fit, and probably wont fit in wiseco's case. if you get the ring gap you want, and they fit the slot and have a similar profile on the pins I would use them up. fyi yamaha used that bore on lots of their 350 twins including some for the roadracers. you could get some pretty wild running 175's by simply using the road race piston and port timing.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Part Numbers do not cross reference.
I would install them on the piston and give it a whirl as long as both the Piston and Rings are from YAMAHA OEM. I have found Wiseco and OEM typically use a different keystone. -BIG DAN:thumb:

We found all sorts of different part numbers on those sets. sometimes it is just a case of one set having a lower ring that is plated or unplated. we liked the unplated ones, and if we were going to drop a ring we would run the unplated ones in the top position alone. someone probably said with some authority that the faster seating ring would work better there besides gordon jennings, but he is who i recall saying it first. thus the shadetree single ring piston started living in my kawasaki.