Winter two stroke riding tips?

I wasn't sure where else to put this, so I figured the safest bet would be to put it in "Off Topic"

I'm in a really complicated situation that pretty much forces me to ride throughout the majority of the winter, if not all of it. I CAN go into it in more detail, but since I want to keep this initial post short-ish, I'll leave that up to you guys to decide if you want to hear the reason behind this stupidity.

Before I start, I've been riding in all seasons for about 6 years now so skill isn't an issue, I've just never had to ride my machine for longer than a few minutes at a time during the winter, so this post is more mechanical in nature.

I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa and will have to be taking gravel/dirt roads to work every day, which means I will be encountering snow and ice on a regular basis. I will also be traveling at nearly full throttle for extended periods of time (you will see why later in the post).

Obviously I will be needing knobby off-road tires at the VERY least, and preferably studded tires. My main concern is my engine. I have three bikes to choose from as my main form of transport, but they are all 50cc two strokes. I have a '79 Yamaha QT50, my old trusty (but slow) steed. I also have a 1986 Honda Aero 50, but it is the least reliable bike I've ever ridden. My best (and newest) is my 2007 TGB Key West, which is the fastest but also my largest, heaviest and has the least amount of ground clearance out of the three.

Before anyone says it, yes I know these are not dirt bikes, I'm posting this here because I figured dirt bike riders would be the most likely to have the answers to my questions. I don't want to risk damaging my bikes, and I'm well aware that riding a little 50cc scooter in the winter is hard on the bike.

I suppose it comes down to this: What should I do to prepare? Should I install a smaller jet to compensate for the lower air temp and higher density of the air? Should I put lighter-weight oil in the trans? What do I need to do to ensure my bike has the highest chance of survival this winter?

I'd really appreciate some help on this, any tips are appreciated!

Well it sucks that you have to ride in the snow, but at least when you lay it over on the black ice you wont be going very fast.
What should I do to prepare? Should I install a smaller jet to compensate for the lower air temp and higher density of the air? Should I put lighter-weight oil in the trans? What do I need to do to ensure my bike has the highest chance of survival this winter?
I would think that along with full moto gear for yourself, re-jetting, and lighter oil is a good idea for the bike. Not sure if either of your bikes are liquid cooled but obviously you would want the correct mix of antifreeze if they were.
I would imagine one of the best resources would be the snowmobiler's. Those machines are 2-strokes, or at least they used to be.
We have a couple of riders here from the tundra, maybe they'll drop in with their $.02.
Be careful, good luck, and welcome to DBA.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I suppose it comes down to this: What should I do to prepare? Should I install a smaller jet to compensate for the lower air temp and higher density of the air? Should I put lighter-weight oil in the trans? What do I need to do to ensure my bike has the highest chance of survival this winter?

I'd really appreciate some help on this, any tips are appreciated!
Welcome.
I think Continental makes a semi knobbie for scooters.
No preparation is required for an air cooled engine in cold temperatures. Water cooled, Trfsrfr mentioned proper coolant/antifreeze.
Thinner oil could make it easier to start in the cold.
I recommend going LARGER on the jet for colder temps, IF you notice a loss of power at full throttle. Otherwise the mixture adjustment screw will suffice.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome.
I think Continental makes a semi knobbie for scooters.
No preparation is required for an air cooled engine in cold temperatures. Water cooled, Trfsrfr mentioned proper coolant/antifreeze.
Thinner oil could make it easier to start in the cold.
I recommend going LARGER on the jet for colder temps, IF you notice a loss of power at full throttle. Otherwise the mixture adjustment screw will suffice.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Sounds like a plan! As far as the jetting goes, I already melted a set of rings and ruined a piston on my QT50 by running too lean during the summer, and I was concerned that the colder/denser air might create a lean situation so larger jetting is definitely something I'll be looking in to. I don't mind running rich, I just don't want to run lean!

Well it sucks that you have to ride in the snow, but at least when you lay it over on the black ice you wont be going very fast.

I would think that along with full moto gear for yourself, re-jetting, and lighter oil is a good idea for the bike. Not sure if either of your bikes are liquid cooled but obviously you would want the correct mix of antifreeze if they were.
I would imagine one of the best resources would be the snowmobiler's. Those machines are 2-strokes, or at least they used to be.
We have a couple of riders here from the tundra, maybe they'll drop in with their $.02.
Be careful, good luck, and welcome to DBA.

I didn't think about snowmobilers, Thanks for the idea! I pass quite a few farmers on my way in to work who have old snowmobiles, perhaps one of them might have a few tips and tricks for me to follow. All of the bikes I have are air cooled, my only water cooled was a 2013 Honda Metropolitan but it only lasted me a few months as my daily rider (back then was only 8 miles to work and 8 miles back) before everything just started to go downhill, I should have spent more money and bought a Ruckus.

Hopefully one of the tundra riders drops some info, I want to do everything I can to keep my machines running. I WOULD have gotten a dirt bike, but they aren't legal on paved roads out here and 1/3rd of my journey is in town, so no-go on my dirt bike dreams this winter...