Other What's this, a other head gasket?

So, on the 87 xl250r I brought back to life... 25 miles on a fresh top end rebuilt done by a reputable dirt bike shop... I was kicking the bike over yesterday and heard and saw a puff of smoke come out of the head gasket a couple times.. then when it started once or twice more occasionally until it got warmed up.

Funny thing is, when I got the bike the head gasket was blown. The shop hohned the cylinder and put the same piston in with new rings. (I thought he was putting a new piston in). It seems to run good when warm but the bike also has funny idling where it idles normal, then every once in a while idles really high, then intermittently runs a little better or a little worse. This is a brand new NOS carb in excellent condition. It has 45 pilot jet and 110 main jet which I think is slight higher than what the service manual says.

Could the head bolts be stretched a little? Is the timing off? Why would it keep blowing head gaskets? It hasn't blown yet but am thinking since it was blown when I got it and I get a few occasional puffs out the gasket when starting that its gonna happen again.

Thanks

Looks like leaking from the head gasket (See pic). If puffed a few times when cold but once warmed up it didn't puff but did run good and then lost power and then good again intermittingly. What might cause a 4 stroke to keep blowing head gaskets? its been mild here in Buffalo NY 50 degrees so don't think its been getting too hot (plus it only did this cold and not hot).... hmmmm.... is there a better gasket, should I have the head checked for straightness? Thanks

Attachments

• head leak.jpg
    head leak.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 15
The head could be warped from a previous overheat.
Of course smoke wouldn’t be white :picard:
I forget we are resurrecting a dinosaur here. I tell ya brother lessons best learned are learned the hard way. You absolutely have to LOVE the old machines. I don’t get nostalgic I send the bitches to the crusher, but gets hard to end a relationship with so much invested.

This is an old post but I’m not sure where else to go.
I have an 87 Xl250r. Only ride off road. The forks and mono shock seem to be my weakest link. Any upgrades out there so I can hang with some newer bikes?

I read I could put heavier duty springs up front an tweak the mono. But I’m not sure. I’m only 6’1 and 180lbs and the bike always bottoms out... getting annoying. PleSe help

SRAD97750

Staff member
This is an old post but I’m not sure where else to go.
I have an 87 Xl250r. Only ride off road. The forks and mono shock seem to be my weakest link. Any upgrades out there so I can hang with some newer bikes?

I read I could put heavier duty springs up front an tweak the mono. But I’m not sure. I’m only 6’1 and 180lbs and the bike always bottoms out... getting annoying. PleSe help
If you're bottoming out, it's set up rather than age. Fluid level is your #1 anti-bottoming feature. I would rebuild and refresh those forks and shock. I bet it will make a huge difference. Probably $300-500 at a local shop. You can do it yourself for cheap with some of the correct tools. BIG DAN:thumb:

If you're bottoming out, it's set up rather than age. Fluid level is your #1 anti-bottoming feature. I would rebuild and refresh those forks and shock. I bet it will make a huge difference. Probably $300-500 at a local shop. You can do it yourself for cheap with some of the correct tools. BIG DAN:thumb:

Ditto.

Anyone have a DIY write up for the forks? What type of oil?
I also read someone cut 3” off the spring and replaced the 3” with a pvc tube...
Best tool to find "how to" is your manual. You can find a Clymer for that bike, if not a used off ebay.
Manual will tell you type of oil and grade.
No, I would not cut any springs and add PVC pipe, that would make it worse.