Pro What would be the issue?

Virtually all other motorsports except MX has on-board cameras, but MX does not have it as part of the live coverage of the race. What is the issue, if any, of having a front and rear facing camera broadcasting live from the top 8 riders so we, the fans, can see the pass on the inside corner from the riders perspective? I think that would rock! Plus I would be glued to the TV watching that kind of perspective on a race! These cameras are so small these days, (Minus the ToastPro) that I hardly think weight would be a factor! SPEED TV will pay them a couple of thou to carry them! :thinking:

probably the added weight of having a transmitter... i'm not sure if any of the smaller cams have the capability to run one either.

You would not see crap if you mounted cameras to the bikes. Have you seen how rough thoughs motos get. That would give me a headache watching.

James

Staff member
First the durability would have to be insane and I'm guessing that an on board HD unit isn't that lightweight. Plus you'd have to put at least a dummy unit on every bike that doesn't have the real one, so that the "fairness" stays the same.

Also what CDA said, it'd be pretty rough if it were on the bike. On the helmet would be better, but then we go back to the weight issue.

James

Staff member
Rider #2 please tear off the camera strip, we cant see past the dirt spatter you just got. :ride:
:lol: Very true. I'm guessing that the convo in the control room goes something like this. :thinking:

Producer - Ok go to rider cam #3
Control Board Person - Uhh sir he has mud covering the lens
Producer - Ok how about rider cam #5
Control Board Person - Sir that fell off 5 minutes ago.
Producer - Rider cam #2?
Control Board Person - Dirt
Producer - Are there still any rider cams up?
Control Board Person - Only one but it's intermittent at best.
Producer - What do you mean, intermittent?
Control Board Person - It's Dungey sir, he's going so fast that we're having trouble getting a signal lock.:P

:lol: :smirk:

Live feed cameras on the riders might be a little tricky. I know that the AMA road race guys have them installed on there bikes but very discretely so as not to create drag. But I agree that the only place to put a camera on a MX rider would be on the helmet. I tried mounting my Go Pro on my front number plate. It worked out pretty good for mounting purposes, but the plate vibrated so badly while riding that it was really nothing but a blur. Ive also considered mounting on the fender but I think that it would likely come out the same.

Okay, Okay! I still contend that technology is out there, or be created, that can put us on board a rider in a race! There is a company waiting to be made that can do that, and they will make money!:ride:

:lol: Very true. I'm guessing that the convo in the control room goes something like this. :thinking:

Producer - Ok go to rider cam #3
Control Board Person - Uhh sir he has mud covering the lens
Producer - Ok how about rider cam #5
Control Board Person - Sir that fell off 5 minutes ago.
Producer - Rider cam #2?
Control Board Person - Dirt
Producer - Are there still any rider cams up?
Control Board Person - Only one but it's intermittent at best.
Producer - What do you mean, intermittent?
Control Board Person - It's Dungey sir, he's going so fast that we're having trouble getting a signal lock.:P
Producer No, not Dungey, Suppan is ahead, his dust is blocking out the signal
Control Board Person Oh dear god, let his speed rain down upon us, have mercy for his fellow competitors
:lol: :smirk:

Fixed :prof: