What will handle bars do for me?

Hey All,

I have a 2013 TTR230 that has stock bars. I rode a WR250 with a set of risers on the bars and what a difference. I have yet to install the risers on my bike so I'm wondering if there is a better set of aftermarket bars (protaper, renthal, etc) that I could be using.

I come from the cycling world where handle bars can make a world of difference. What I have seen on dealer shelves seem all the same to my untrained eyes.

Thanks!

Tim

Yeah, they make a lot of difference. If you want taller bars, someone who likes ones that I would call more like antlers will be along to assist you. I think both the brands you suggested have sites that show how a bar is measured and some terminology. You may really like the idea of risers with your old bars or you may want to change to a different bend. The first option may be the best money wise until you have ridden long enough to develope a style you may keep. Asking he owner of the setup he liked where he got them may be the best start, since you already know something about them. Changing conventional bars to fat bars by adding adapters is popular. You could have your choice of bends, rises, sweep, width, control area, and heights. you can spend $150 pretty quick though, so start where you want.:ride:

Depends on what your looking for. I use Windham bend and CR hi bends on my bikes. Bar risers are the other route. Here is what I did, went to the shops that had multi choice bars on the shelf, took them out and held them out in front. Pic the best feel and put them on your bike. Raise and/or adjust to your preference. Nice thing about my top clamp is that I have four positions and 3 heights to chose from.

Floyd tried those. Of course he had the settings mixed. Makes up for his short arm. I think he misses his speedway bike more than I do mine.

bars are made, hi, regular, short, wide, narrow, etc. Some with crossbar, some without, aluminum, steel. etc. So, tell us more about you, your riding style-sit down or stand up- and the riding you do and how much money you want to spend.

bars are made, hi, regular, short, wide, narrow, etc. Some with crossbar, some without, aluminum, steel. etc. So, tell us more about you, your riding style-sit down or stand up- and the riding you do and how much money you want to spend.

Woods rider and a new rider, started in Sept. last year. Can't wait for the snow to melt up here in NH to get back out, like most people. I am working on standing as much as possible; by the end of the year I was standing more throughout all the more technical stuff and sitting during the easy fire road areas. Area where I ride is full of loose rock and lots of roots, most of the trails are wide enough for an ATV though there is some single track.

I do have an issue with my hands going numb, I suffer this while cycling as well so I think getting more weight off my hands will help.

The way you ride now is probably a bit different than the way you rode to begin with. As you age it may change some more, unless you start out riding "old". 50 years ago I started riding "young" and was kind of molded by the bikes and suspensions we had then. It was all about being able to weight shift to the rear. Someone told me it 'still is' not too long ago. I should put him on one of my originals and see how long he keeps that thought.

If you develope hard front end cornering you may end up actually liking lower bars. If you attend some riding schools you may find something else that changes. If you plan on just letting the casual riding you are doing develope the style for you, then you will probably feel happy with the higher bars from now on, if you put them on now.

For the most part I am completely comfortable with the cr bends, and stay pretty happy with the medium or standard bend. I own some in high too though. I am just under 6 feet with a body longer than most guys who are 6'3". longish arms. if you ride tight woods you may decide you like a narrow, (25-26.5" wide bar). I wouldnt blame you for being intent on getting something higher. Go checkout the websites on those bars and look for a popular bend that you can lift up. I would do that with the adapters/risers for the present.

and how tall are you?

I'm 5'11 3/4. I'm broad, built like a running back and have long arms and hands. Some brands of xxl riding gloves won't fit me. I also wear size 13 shoes. I jokingly say I'm 6'3 trapped in a 5'11 body. Not that age matters a ton but I'm 33.

you need a new bike.............well, the attack mode is standing, knees bent, waist bent slightly with head over the bars. Thats all nice n stuff, but for just riding I find I sit half the time and stand straight legged if in open ground like the desert. I bend into the correct posiiton when I see the bumps coming. I stand if it gets too dusty and I cant see the bumps coming. I fling myself into the water and go over waterfalls if it seems the thing to do at that time (look up the thread). "I" feel more comfortable with tall bars and not too wide cuz Im 5-9. With you being tall I would go with a set of tall bars to minimize your bend when standing...this will take a load off your back. There are "woods" bend and width bars made. They are narrow by taking the metal out of the center and not from the ends so your levers n such will still have the room to fit vs cutting off the ends of the bars to get them narrow. The Honda CR high are a good all around bar. I did look up specs in the past and found the KX high bars are a little taller tho. I use the woods bars cuz my arms are not long and I do ride in the woods. Everyone is different tho. You may find that you are going to change your style if you continue riding and get faster and on a more aggressive bike.

What site are u talking about..I found on my new bike while standing I felt very high and very far forward over the bars iv never been shown the correct way but iv a good idea on riding s positions...anyhow im a long 6'2 with long arms and legs. .and I know the gas gas frames are small. .would I be better off getting bar risers and iv heard u can get the foot pegs lower don't know much about these or never seen any. .I think lower pegs would be great as I feel my knees are very high while standing. .there's fat bars on the bike at the moment. .don't know what type as I never took much notice..

Pro taper has a site. It is the one I generally use when I do comparisons since I like their product as well as any and have a few sets of their bars.