What safety gear for new rider?

Hello, I just bought my son a mini bike. He is 5 and I want to teach him to ride. Maybe too young and I have a safe teaching plan but I wanted to know where to go for some gear at a reasonable price.

I had a bike when I was younger but was never too hardcore into riding and only wore a helmet.

I'm trying to find out what else is out there in regards to safety gear? Chest protectors, pads, helmet, etc.

What gear would you buy to feel safe with your kid riding and where are some places that offer reputable gear for youths at a fair price?

Hello, I just bought my son a mini bike. He is 5 and I want to teach him to ride. Maybe too young and I have a safe teaching plan but I wanted to know where to go for some gear at a reasonable price.

I had a bike when I was younger but was never too hardcore into riding and only wore a helmet.

I'm trying to find out what else is out there in regards to safety gear? Chest protectors, pads, helmet, etc.

What gear would you buy to feel safe with your kid riding and where are some places that offer reputable gear for youths at a fair price?

Welcome!

Go to cyclegear and try on some helmets gloves and goggles. Go to Walmart and get him some work boots for now. Start him with the simple stuff and keep it cheap. Once he starts twisting the throttle a little more then you can get into better and more gear.
Good luck :thumb:

Ok thanks. Do you not recommend chest or neck protection ? I know he won't be flying around. He listens well and is fairly smart but I just worry about safety in case of a fall.

as a 5 year old he is probably just going to be learning how to ride with out falling over, most likely not getting very fast or aggressive just yet. So for sure a helmet, goggles and gloves first, then boots and pants next, then finally things like chest and neck protectors next which I feel are optional. its a blast watching your kids grow up on a bike, learning and becoming more skilled. Have a great time with it and welcome to DBA Steve (good name)

Ok thanks. Do you not recommend chest or neck protection ? I know he won't be flying around. He listens well and is fairly smart but I just worry about safety in case of a fall.

They do sell a neck donut which is about $15. I recommend them for all new riders especially young ones because the helmet tends to be heavy.

I still think the best fitting easiest to move in gear for the little guys comes from hocky shops. A motorcycle specific helmet that fits right, with goggles is a must. I see some good stuff to protect wrists at skateboard shops. Hocky gear is reasonably priced.
Just not goalie gear lol. That gear is plain unreasonable lol. Obvious he won't be wearing goalie pads, a catching glove and a blocker. I like your idea tho. If it can stop a 2 pound chunk of frozen rubber it's gotta be good