Wet Gray Sludge on Radiator Cap?

I have run into more than one(rainO diesel). They tried it again since then it seems. The trick is to suspend the oil so it will rinse away and the "Soap" also needs to be enough of a surfacant to get between the oil clinging to the cooling system walls before the last of it can be flushed away. Then it has to flush away itself without leaving a mix that foams.

Last edited:
I have run into more than one(rainO diesel). They tried it again since then it seems. The trick is to suspend the oil so it will rinse away and the "Soap" also needs to be enough of a surfacant to get between the oil clinging to the cooling system walls before the last of it can be flushed away. Then it has to flush away itself without leaving a mix that foams.

Yup, and getting the heater core and radiator cleared out is the tricky part, hoses are the easy one, just replace them. Course I doubt p dee's bike is in need of this sort of treatment.

if you ever cut an oil cooler apart off a large diesel you would see a real challenge in clearing it out. probably lots of products will clean one now, but in the 70's when I met my first two stroke diesel that was in the manual. easy and cheap to get and soooooooooooooooooo effective. oil will break down in the cooling system and it makes it hard to keep the ph right. that is hard on the liners. pitting etc.

If I am reading this right I can't see any harm if it does get sucked in. I use it for gaskets Ina non motorized application. It sticks very well.

Foam will wreck a nikasil cylinder. Peels the plating right off. I replaced my Kawi cylinder because of it.

here's what it looked like though. the wet stuff on the side of the cap in this pic.

IMG_0382.jpg
Unfortunately, I've actually seen stuff that looks like that before Pdee. The good news is that it was never on one of my Rad caps. The bad news is that it was in a pair of my Joe Boxer briefs the morning after a particularly spectacular night of ingesting copious amounts of Australian Chili, Single malt Scotch and several "Natch" sized Capt'n N Cokes. In any event, hope you chase down your issue :thumb:

Unfortunately, I've actually seen stuff that looks like that before Pdee. The good news is that it was never on one of my Rad caps. The bad news is that it was in a pair of my Joe Boxer briefs the morning after a particularly spectacular night of ingesting copious amounts of Australian Chili, Single malt Scotch and several "Natch" sized Capt'n N Cokes. In any event, hope you chase down your issue :thumb:

I skipped the entire thread just to read your post Edge! :lol:

:canada: