Wanting to trade up, but to what?

I currently have a 2002 Kawasaki klx 110 it is too short, so I'm looking to trade up, I found a new 2015 ssr 125, it has 15 hours on it, he is selling it for $820, I don't know much about the ssr, is it a set back power wise to what I have? Or a good step up. I ride in the hills mostly, small jumps, some washes, a few big hills. Thank in advance!

SRAD97750

Staff member
I recommend staying away from Chinese bikes once you have had a bike from big japan.
I suggest a 125 2T or a 250 4T which will get you up into full size bikes.
You want a 21 inch front tire... -BIG DAN:thumb:

Thank you, i (mom) opened this for my son and I so we could both learn more, my son is 12, about 5 foot tall, skinny, long legs lol the 110 is getting under powered for him, he started out on a cobra 50cc, loved it, then got a Kawasaki 65cc, that was way too much, has had the klx 110 for about a year, he's just getting to tall. So he's wanting to upgrade. Because it's not competitive, I'm not to worried about the Chinese bikes, but again don't really know the differences. Thanks again

If he liked the klx110 then he will like the klx140L. Find a local dealor and have him sit on one. If he seems to cramped then go full size. Like the big Dan suggested.

Depending on discipline, (how one treats the throttle) you can move up to full size 125 2 stroke. That's a big boy for his age full size with a little power will be a good bike to grow into and have for a while.

It's a funny thing about what makes a young person happy on a bike. My neighbor got his nerdy kid a Klx 140. he was really happy sitting on it as he road it around the neighborhood quietly on the trails. His mom asked me if my son could show her son a few things about riding. My son had zero interest or time so I did. Anyway, he progressed and learned that he had a way of applying what he was shown just like most do. Wasn't afraid of it anymore, and made some friends who ride 125 two strokes and larger rigs. April KLX is now way to tame for him.

So what you pick may depend a lot on who he is likely to end up riding with and what he will have to compare to, and is probably worth considering when thinking about a bike for a season or two.

MOM>>>>>what no one explained is that the Chinese bikes are difficult to find parts for and are not a good investment. Stick to a name brand bike-Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM.