4 Stroke Valve adjustment time

Had to do a valve adjustment on the intakes on my 520RS. The valves were just barely above at minimum spec (.004) at the three hours initial check. At the thirty hour check they were right at .004 and I decided to check a bit early at fifty instead of the scheduled 60 hours. The .004 feeler didn't fit any longer but the .003 fit easily.

Sorry but no pics. I took plenty, but just after downloading and naturally deleting them, my hard drive decided to die. I just followed the manual and it was relatively easy. Of course the manual is for a 2010 and the cam chain tensioner is not the same as what is shown in the manual. That said I'm not sure that I like the 2012 mechanism. I seem to remember that it was updated yet again for 2013. I'm thinking that I'm not going to run that tensioner past 100 hours.

The thing that I did not like was the plain cam bearing condition. There was a tiny amount of scoring on both cams, but a bit more on the exhaust. It was enough that I wanted to clean it up some so a little 1000 sandpaper and more 3000 sandpaper. Got it to shine as 3000 sandpaper is really more like polishing than sanding.

Cleaned everything up real well and put it all back together. Went for a ride and the decomp seemed to work better when hot.

The next work is to float the stator and install a new regulator. Got to power that HID headlight retrofit that's already in place.

Had to do a valve adjustment on the intakes. The valves were just barely above at minimum spec (.004) at the three hours initial check. At the thirty hour check they were right at .004 and I decided to check a bit early at fifty instead of the scheduled 60 hours. The .004 feeler didn't fit any longer but the .003 fit easily.

Sorry but no pics. I took plenty, but just after downloading and naturally deleting them, my hard drive decided to die. I just followed the manual and it was relatively easy. Of course the manual is for a 2010 and the cam chain tensioner is not the same as what is shown in the manual. That said I'm not sure that I like the 2012 mechanism. I seem to remember that it was updated yet again for 2013. I'm thinking that I'm not going to run that tensioner past 100 hours.

The thing that I did not like was the plain cam bearing condition. There was a tiny amount of scoring on both cams, but a bit more on the exhaust. It was enough that I wanted to clean it up some so a little 1000 sandpaper and more 3000 sandpaper. Got it to shine as 3000 sandpaper is really more like polishing than sanding.

Cleaned everything up real well and put it all back together. Went for a ride and the decomp seemed to work better when hot.

The next work is to float the stator and install a new regulator. Got to power that HID headlight retrofit that's already in place.
What bike.