Trust this to happen to me

So while I’ve been working away I bought my self a lovely torque wrench.
I got one for low torques and one for high torques.

Changing the oil today and reading the manual, when changing oil filter, replace the cap and torque bolts to 12nm

The bolt only went and snapped on me while using the torque wrench. Happened to me a while back this with my very first bike. Luckily I was able to get a punch and unscrew the snapped bolt and I was lucky enough to hve a replacement.

Guna leave the small bolts for hand tight and I’ll do the big bolts only with the torque wrench. Learn something new everyday!

Attachments

• 98AE167A-5104-46E2-86AD-6C3ECB6FD311.jpeg
    98AE167A-5104-46E2-86AD-6C3ECB6FD311.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
I have a torque wrench occasionally tell me to go further than I think I should. Use your instinct, especially on small ones. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but certainly a valuable lesson!

1) Those bolts stretch through time and should be replaced after a while or at least inspected each filter change.
2) I never use a torque wrench for under 7FB pounds. That's what a T handle is for and make them snug using feel. Easy to check after a few hour run time.
3) It should be easy to remove "IF" the threads are not stretched beyond the broken end with a screw remover from Sears.

Got it sorted anyway just nip it up with my rachet.
On the other hand I noticed the o ring on the cap was flat on one side but I let it pass me. Holy cow the bike leaked oil ... a lot! Track owner managed to source me a new o ring and back on track I was.
Managed to clear some jumps today and also get my bike leaning right over in the sticky mud! Excellent day