Toyhauler question

New to toyhauler-RV world. Looking to buy used, what should i be looking for in terms of the mechanics, etc? Prefer a bumper tow, will be using a 2500 dodge diesel. Thanks

By bumper tow I hope you mean something with a tongue as opposed to 5th wheel. (for god's sake not actually towing with the ball mounted to the bumper!!)

theres not very many mechanicals to a trailer, and the big problems which are usually in the body of the trailer (think sun damage and bad seals) are usually obvious. I would go with the best one you can get decently cheap and plan on doing things like tires and wheel bearings.
A 2500 Ram should be adequate for up to about 30' I would think, and being a 2500 I would hope it already has a factory transmission cooler. A stabilizer hitch is a must

theres not very many mechanicals to a trailer, and the big problems which are usually in the body of the trailer (think sun damage and bad seals) are usually obvious. I would go with the best one you can get decently cheap and plan on doing things like tires and wheel bearings.
A 2500 Ram should be adequate for up to about 30' I would think, and being a 2500 I would hope it already has a factory transmission cooler. A stabilizer hitch is a must
Trans cooler or not, if it has over 50k better rebuild it, or be on the side of the road with you coming to get him.

Exactly! I had a dodge "ONCE". And because it had overdrive it cost 1,200 more. Rebuilt, sold, purchased a LC FZJ80 to transport kids.
its gone up since your dodge, a buddy recently had a 03 2500 cummins with automatic, started slipping and the shops that didn't outright refuse to work on it quoted $1500 for a "soft" rebuild.
He sold it, used the money to buy a 93 F150 with a straight six and 5 speed and a CRF450X with money left over because people lose their minds when they see a cummins (don't blame them, good engine.)
But alas, advice has been given regarding the truck and the goal is not to bash the dudes ride :thumb: One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is a brake controller, but seeing as how its a hd pick up I'd assume it has had one installed.

My 06 GMC 2500HD Diesel pulls a 42 foot fifth wheel toyhauler all day with no problems, but that is beside the point.

JAX - look to make sure everything is in good working order. If it has a Gen, check records of service and have them start it. If you can check the water lines, look at the connectors, I have had 2 trailers where i get a water leak because the plastic connectors break. You will be replacing tires unless they have records of a resent replacement. Depending on length, you may want to invest in airbags for the truck, makes for a better ride.

Gentlemen I have a 2009 2500 Dodge with 305,000 and no issues with the stock tranny larger pan and regular maintenance.

Must have got a good one,

Attachments

• 5968.jpeg
    5968.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 4
Trailer and truck for sale.

Nice rigs Ron. PV eh? I am in S/W Prescott about 10 min from square, Mountain Club 5years. Unfortunately I am still stuck in SoCal taken care of grandkids, but hope to be home soon. Might do the howlin ride if I can get back.

Cool sounds good nice to meet you I live in the Dewey area just got me a bike last year hadn't rode in almost 12years was thinking about the howling ride but not sure if I want to ride to crown king been there done that for many years used to race desert from 91 thru 2002