Tightening Spokes using spoke torque wrench

hi guys. i bought myself a spoke torque wrench because it's time to tighten my spokes.
my wheel at 1 area, doesn't spin/remain straight. it's only a little bit out. i have recently also put on a new chain, new rear tyre, replaced the rear wheel bearings and seals and front and rear sprockets, so they ain't the causes and the last thing left to do is to tighten the spokes or check the spoke tension. the rim and hub are also in excellent condition. i know the torque spec to tighten them up to from my manual.
i know the spoke torque wrenches take the guesswork out of tightening the spokes, however, some people have told me to tighten every 4th spoke, then every 2nd spoke, then every other spoke and others have said to just tighten them 1 by 1 because i am using a torque wrench so shouldn't matter. which is the correct method? or will it even matter considering im using a spoke torque wrench? just wanting to make sure and double check before i start tightening them.

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
They are correct. Your wheel is laced in 4 sets (directions) of spokes. Tighten every 4th one, then move to the next bunch. This will keep the wheel in true as you torque them. -BIG DAN:thumb:

ok cool. cheers mate.
i just didn't understand why i'd need to go in certain patterns when they're all going to be tightened to exactly 6nM at the end anyway.

SRAD97750

Staff member
So is that the reason why I should tighten every 4th then every 2nd then every other 1?
The purpose of a pattern is that every 4th spoke is going the same way. You want to tighten them all at the same time, then move on to the next set.

Timo is saying an old spoke/nipple will reach 'measured torque' long before it is actually tight enough, because the threads are corroded/worn, giving it a higher 'run-on' torque.

Hmm ok. So will re-tightening my spokes using the torque wrench actually solve my slight wheel imbalance issue then?

If the spokes are so loose that the rim is not tightly held, it will help some. Don't expect a perfect wheel though. Dirt bike wheels might start off round, but usually don't stay that way. A big wheel imbalance factor is the rim lock. If you only have one adding some weight to the other side is the only way.

I've never had new spokes so I've never had much use for a spoke torque wrench. I use the feel and sound method. You can get a good idea of tightness by pulling them sideways and also by tapping with a wrench and listening to the tone.

It's real easy to over tighten. In my experience the tell tale sign is broken spokes. It takes a major impact to break a properly torqued spoke, but it's easy to break an over tightened one. Spokes work in tension. They are only so strong and the tension from tightening takes some of that strength. Over tighten and there is not enough left over to take the loads from riding.

is it ok to use some penetrating oil and clean most of whatever crap would be stuck in the spoke nipple threads?

Attachments

• 2014-02-11 16.17.08.jpg
    2014-02-11 16.17.08.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
my method is to tape a pen onto the fork so that the pen tip just touches the rim wall then spin the rim slowly so u can find the buckle/bent part or the rim (where there is little or no pen mark or visas/versa) then adjust from there ... a extra large coffee and some time and u should get it through...youtube should have an instructional video of this method.. search. fix buckle dirtbike rim.. (my rim is possible as old as my bike who knows :eek: 95 kx)