This COULD be a ride report...

5 miles from my cabin...as the crow fllies...or the XR runs.....
Not really a ride report! More like a cool thing I saw and took a bunch of pics, OK? While on my bike! I parked it and paid my $3.00 admission.

New Athens, Ohio. Every year on the weekend after Labor day, people gather with their 1870's - 1940's machinery and show people how it used to be done. It's awesome! Coal fired steam driven machinery! The complexity of these machines and the engineering it took to make them is mind boggling given the time they were produced!

They had steam powered threshers, hay bailers, and saw mills!

Coal and steam powering a bailer.
DSCN1395.jpg

Look at all the belts an whistles! OSHA would have a field day on this!
DSCN1396.jpg

It's an unbelievably complex piece of machinery! GTFO! You have to keep oiling and filling things as it works! It sounds like a choo-choo train when it gets under load! :smirk: It belches smoke and makes an awesome sound!

DSCN1397.jpg

The food was great! They had giant copper kettles filled with ham and bean soup (pigs roasted on site) and fresh cornbread made from the 1870's grinders! Locals had 10 different kind of fresh pies, and hand churned ice cream! My take was fresh rhubarb pie with fresh peach ice cream! It doesn't get any better than that!

Well, it does. I'll be back this weekend to hunt doves! When these peeps clear out, it is the best!

Way cool! :thumb:

You can't get a better slice of Americana than this! And I've seen most of the pie in my day!

Attachments

• DSCN1403.jpg
    DSCN1403.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1404.jpg
    DSCN1404.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1405.jpg
    DSCN1405.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1406.jpg
    DSCN1406.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 49
Cool stuff buck, I have ran across a bunch of old stuff like that out at our farm in Kansas many moons ago. the crap still worked back then too.

No way, i just saw that same machine (the sawmill) at the Huron county fair when i working there. I looked at it alot considering i was there for 3 days straight