The path less traveled

This is an experiment. (not a trick)

I've often been fascinated by the idea of taking the path less traveled. It has inspired many decisions in my life, and I believe enriched my life quite a bit. Which I imagine is why the poem by Robert Frost called "The Road Not Taken" is so popular. Being the poem that inspired the idea of taking the adventurous route that is off the beaten path. So I decided to look it up and see what other inspiring information Mr. Frost had gifted us with in this poem.

Boy was I surprised when I read the poem, which is quite short, and thought to myself, "This poem is NOT telling people to take the path less traveled, it's telling people that if they DO take that path, in hindsight that decision will look like it made all the difference." The poem actually says that "The passing there had worn them really about the same." It's only years later when recalling this moment in time that you tell yourself you took the "one less traveled by."

I thought I must be mad or not understand poetry because really, who the hell does lol? So I looked up the sparknotes interpretation of the poem and that's EXACTLY what it's about. It is about looking back on decisions you've made and giving more importance to the path you chose to take when really, both looked pretty much equal.

Since I've come to know this I've found the new understanding of this poem to fit so readily in day to day events. Ironically I STILL favor the original interpretation and look at the path less traveled when I have a decision to make, but now I know that the decision is merely a coin flip, and as long as the path I choose doesn't end in tragedy I'll look back on it as the correct decision. With out ever knowing where the other path may have lead.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This is an experiment. (not a trick)

I've often been fascinated by the idea of taking the path less traveled. It has inspired many decisions in my life, and I believe enriched my life quite a bit. Which I imagine is why the poem by Robert Frost called "The Road Not Taken" is so popular. Being the poem that inspired the idea of taking the adventurous route that is off the beaten path. So I decided to look it up and see what other inspiring information Mr. Frost had gifted us with in this poem.

Boy was I surprised when I read the poem, which is quite short, and thought to myself, "This poem is NOT telling people to take the path less traveled, it's telling people that if they DO take that path, in hindsight that decision will look like it made all the difference." The poem actually says that "The passing there had worn them really about the same." It's only years later when recalling this moment in time that you tell yourself you took the "one less traveled by."

I thought I must be mad or not understand poetry because really, who the hell does lol? So I looked up the sparknotes interpretation of the poem and that's EXACTLY what it's about. It is about looking back on decisions you've made and giving more importance to the path you chose to take when really, both looked pretty much equal.

Since I've come to know this I've found the new understanding of this poem to fit so readily in day to day events. Ironically I STILL favor the original interpretation and look at the path less traveled when I have a decision to make, but now I know that the decision is merely a coin flip, and as long as the path I choose doesn't end in tragedy I'll look back on it as the correct decision. With out ever knowing where the other path may have lead.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

* I can appreciate this as I too tend to take the "path less travled" in many ways. I tend to NOT follow the popular choice hence my choice of bike being a Husaberg... and previous choices, when the Elsinore 125 was popular I got a TM 125, when big bore 2 strokes were popular I got a TT 500 stroker, when XR's were popular i got...... well, as XR 600 be3cause no one else made a big bore 4 stroke worth beans at the time.... for that matter not sure if anyone made one (1985) other than Honda... :noidea:

* Even when it came to my cowboy days... I chose a paint because EVERYONE owend a brown horse. I wore a buckaroo style had when everyone else wore a rodeo crease, I wore lace up ackers when everyone was wearing Ropers.... I liked everyting "cowboy" not just western...

* On a different note... When traveling just through the surrounding neighborhood my wife will ask me "how do you know about this"? I tell her because I got off the beaten path knowing I can just turn around if I got lost...

I think the term used for those who follow is "Sheeple"! :smirk:

Good pull SDMike... I like it!

I just took the path that everyone took and I darn made sure I dressed as everyone else did - it made good sense back then - 'course I was a pickpocket.

Just kidding Mike, - Robert Frost was an outstanding poet :cheers: