Other The 1985 Honda VF700C Magna

The $100.00 Honda Magna 700 -

So I picked up this ratty Magna, now I am wondering what to do with it. Here is what I know;
* It runs, and it runs pretty well. Rev's good, sounds good and healthy even though it sounds like it's been sitting awhile and needs carb maintenance.
* Has a transmission problem. Drops in and out of gear and "catches" for lack of a better term.
* 48,000 miles.
* Electrical system seems to be functioning properly; horn, lights and gauges work.
* Needs 2 tires
* Needs paint - seller's girlfriend decided she would paint it silver.
* Needs seat recovered.
* Needs brake and clutch master cylinders
* Needs little things, fuel petcock, headlight, coolant switch, gear-shift lever, battery, etc.
* Fuel tank needs work.
* All in all it appears to be a complete bike.
* KBB trade-in vale is $1130, suggested retail is $1920.
85 Magna.jpg

Thought or recommendations?
Restoration project, parts bike, or the scrap pile?

Last edited:
The $100.00 Honda Magna 700 -

So I picked up this ratty Magna, now I am wondering what to do with it. Here is what I know;
* It runs, and it runs pretty well. Rev's good, sounds good and healthy even though it sounds like it's been sitting awhile and needs carb maintenance.
* Has a transmission problem. Drops in and out of gear and "catches" for lack of a better term.
* 48,000 miles.
* Electrical system seems to be functioning properly; horn, lights and gauges work.
* Needs 2 tires
* Needs paint - seller's girlfriend decided she would paint it silver.
* Needs seat recovered.
* Needs brake and clutch master cylinders
* Needs little things, fuel petcock, headlight, coolant switch, gear-shift lever, battery, etc.
* Fuel tank needs work.
* All in all it appears to be a complete bike.
* KBB trade-in vale is $1130, suggested retail is $1920.
View attachment 29600

Thought or recommendations?
Restoration project, parts bike, or the scrap pile?

If you can get a tank and seat for it then get cleaned up the flip it for 1500

Does popping in and out of gear occur in all gears?
I haven't determined that yet.
I found that the shift linkage that clamps the shift shaft is loose and not properly gripping the shift shaft, so it was hard to tell what was going on. And it was late so I packed it in for the night.
I did however join the V4Musclebike forum and through various Google searches found that this bike has a known 2nd gear issue. There are a couple write-ups on how to repair it without splitting the cases, and some have even said that it can be done without removing the engine.

Another thing I found is that parts are plentiful and not too pricey, unlike my KLX.

I have been assuming that the engine would need to be removed, but have been looking into the possibility of not splitting the cases. It has been said that it's possible, and if it is, then well that opens up other issues too.
Since Andy has a set of heads for it, maybe he would be able to shine some light and offer his experience and $.02 on this article from V4musclebike.com;
http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8924

My problem with that is, if I am going to go that far then I will want to have the frame powder-coated, and basically do a full restoration. Which would include having the two cases repainted/coated; because right now they look their age...

So I think it can sit for now. I got time to make a decision on how far to go.
Short of a full resto, I think m33's advice might be the best option; get it running and flip it.

But damn I love these bikes, always have, and especially this year, make and model. And I know how dangerous falling in love with something can be, been there done that. Money pit comes to mind, but it was a $100.00 bike...

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
One thing I have learned (the very hard way), is not to spend more than half the bikes "going rate," unless you are keeping it for yourself.
If they are actually selling (not just sitting) on Craigslist for $1000, never get into it for more than $500.
Made bike flipping far more worthwhile. You learn what is actually important and necessary in a hurry.

As far as bikes you will be keeping? I'm into the DubYar5Mille over $3000 on an $800 bike. Looking to drop another $1K into her this season. Wouldn't trade her for the world. -BIG DAN:thumb:

At the end of the day, I'm glad I bought it and I'm happy it's sitting here taking up space in my garage with title, rather than not being here. But you know what?
I have 2 dirtbikes now that run awesome and a kid that'll be here on Wednesday to see his new XR100, and possibly a ride set-up this weekend with Palmer, even though he must be a horrible father that didn't even go see his son when he was in town recently...:lol:

It almost sounds like it is harder to do it that way than to remove the engine. I have not done any transmission work on my Sabre. closest was a vfr750. I am thinking like you that if you are going to leave it in the frame and flip it, I would see to the linkage, and any tired springs on the shift mechanism, put a seat cover on it , and shoot for 10x on the price. If you spent a week of nights doing the transmission all for second gear you might get 2-400 more for it, depending on how bad second is right now. If I was taking that one out of the frame I would probably do what you are contemplating and may actually do something I seldom do, and that is the powder coating you are considering, providing you can get it done cheap. (I get mine for the price of materials, but it is work to get it done BELIEVE me.) Then keep it and ride it. For a situp bike the old ones are as good and satisfying to ride as the new ones. The British and Italians didnt make the only bikes that became classics, and any v4 is a classic already in my book.

So I am pondering this Magna and have a question, something that I have zero experience with or know anything about.
I have heard that if I have the gears 'undercut' that this solves the 2nd gear problem.
Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this?
I am assuming you cannot just bring these gears to the local automotive machine shop and have the work done.
Also, I found this in the bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VF-700-Magna-Mainshaft-w-Gears-Transmission-23211-MB0-000-/282076324634?fits=Year:1985|Make:Honda|Model:Magna+700|Submodel:VF700C&hash=item41ad0f231a:g:IBEAAOSwNuxXawHj&vxp=mtr
Also this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-84-85-86...ash=item20ff55c05e:g:ReUAAOSw3ydVrA7q&vxp=mtr
And this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VF500...m3ca86349fe:m:mPko0e3iVZl1d2AvBhDSfdA&vxp=mtr
Thoughts?

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Those parts look good. Nothing wrong with the driven (output) shaft and gears in your transmission?
IMHO,
You can undercut dogs, but only from new (good used) specs as it requires you remove some 'structural' load-bearing material. Undercutting severly worn dogs would require you to remove too much meat, making the dog even thinner.
Yes, undercut gears have a more positive engagement and the chances of an undercut dog popping out is zero, especially under power.
If it's a problem that's going to reoccur due to the design of the engine, then I would possibly undercut just the gears in question. I don't think it's necessary to undercut gears on a motor that's not being put under extreme conditions. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Nothing wrong with the driven (output) shaft and gears in your transmission?
I haven't torn apart the engine/trans yet, just still trying to get an idea of what I might be taking on before I take up more space in my already too tight garage, and also to get an idea of the complexity and cost. It is a fairly daunting task to me as I've never been in a V4 before.
If I were to get an undercut, who should I have do it, and how much might/should it cost?
This 2nd gear thing (which I have not confirmed yet but am suspecting and trying to prepare for), is a known problem for these bikes.

if you look at any high powered bike that is ridden hard you find the same "problem". the first to second shifts have the greatest mechanical advantage . hence, second gears fade. then it gets announced like a discovery.

Update;
I removed the oil pan last night and it came with extra pieces; seen below;
100_2717.JPG
Not sure what the bushing/spacer looking thing is, but the other part is obviously a shift fork.
This is what it looks like now;
100_2708.JPG