250 Swapping out springs on 2000 yz250

So I bought my bike from a guy who was 230 lbs, he had the suspension resprung for him. He gave me the stock springs, I'm only 120 lbs, so I wanna put the stock springs back in the bike looked through the service manual and it doesn't really explain it too well. Anyone have any tips or experience doing this? Also do I need to drain the oil to do the front springs?

you can do the springs without draining the oil, but it is a good time to do both and make sure they are both level. i would make sure i had the right wrench size other than a large crescent wrench and loosen the bolts to the top portion of the triple clamp before trying to take out the fork caps, have the wheels suspended etc, and I like having the wheels off too.

On the rear I just remove silencer, seat, side panels, loosen the bottom subframe, and intake boot clamp on the carb, remove the 12mm bolt on the top of subframe and swing back and down. You can then loosen the spring keepers by pounding them loose with a punch and a hammer (both dirrections works best). Then remove the entire rear shock and turn upside down in a soft jaw vise and finish the swap.

For the fronts. Bike stand and remove front wheel, remove front brake caliper from lower fork, loosen fork caps (19mm), back out clicker and count (maybe 12-14 clicks), pull the forks, remove cap the rest of the way and pull outer tube down. 17mm "thin" wrench with 19mm on cap will remove cap to get to spring.

I would order a new bush/seal/whiper kit and 2L of oil before I did this job and rebuild the forks while you are at it. Fresh is just OH-SO-NICE!

See video on rebuilding forks RMATV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4