125 suspension questions

I have a 2010 yz125. I am looking to replace the springs but, I don't know what weight of spring I should get (If that makes sence). Also what weight of oil should I use? I'm 135 lbs. my height is 5'9 or 5'10. Thanks guys; you all are always so helpful and you have saved me some $ along the way.

James

Staff member
According to Race Tech:
Fork Spring Rate: 0.40 kg/mm (I rounded up)
Shock Spring Rate: 4.6 kg/mm

Stock is .42 and 4.7 so you should notice a difference. :thumb:

Click the "Calculate Spring Rates and Display Available Springs" link at the top.
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Yamaha/YZ125/2010

One thing though, if you can set your sag and still have some room left for adjustment. I wouldn't buy a new rear shock spring.

According to Race Tech:
Fork Spring Rate: 0.40 kg/mm (I rounded up)
Shock Spring Rate: 4.6 kg/mm

Stock is .42 and 4.7 so you should notice a difference. :thumb:

Click the "Calculate Spring Rates and Display Available Springs" link at the top.
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Yamaha/YZ125/2010

One thing though, if you can set your sag and still have some room left for adjustment. I wouldn't buy a new rear shock spring.
I already have my race sag set and I have plenty of room for adjustment... But, wouldn't a lighter spring be better?

James

Staff member
I already have my race sag set and I have plenty of room for adjustment... But, wouldn't a lighter spring be better?
You only need a lighter (or heavier) spring in the rear shock if you run out of adjustment.

I'd get new fork springs though as you can't adjust those.

You only need a lighter (or heavier) spring in the rear shock if you run out of adjustment.

I'd get new fork springs though as you can't adjust those.
Be careful if your suspension is balanced now and you change the front springs, make sure can make the adjustment in the back to level it back out without changing the ride too much.

I have a 2010 yz125. I am looking to replace the springs but, I don't know what weight of spring I should get (If that makes sence). Also what weight of oil should I use? I'm 135 lbs. my height is 5'9 or 5'10. Thanks guys; you all are always so helpful and you have saved me some $ along the way.

Dont pussy foot around send it out and you'll see significant imorovements in your riding almost immediately. Hands down, Factory Connection is the best I have ever used but opinions may vary..

James

Staff member
Dont pussy foot around send it out and you'll see significant imorovements in your riding almost immediately. Hands down, Factory Connection is the best I have ever used but opinions may vary..
He already had it revalved, he just didn't swap the springs for his weight.

Kyle, Mike's right, I wouldn't attempt this yourself, suspension is serious business. I know a couple local guys that will go over it for pretty cheap, just let me know.

I am always for trying it yourself. However, if its your only bike and your on a tight budget (which i assume you are since your my age), just send it out. It's not that much for what it is and then you'll know how a bike is really supposed to feel. That way if you do try it yourself nextime you can tell if its right or not

well my dad just declined my idea of the springs because I have been on the verge of selling this thing all summer. But, what weight of oil should i use?

James

Staff member
well my dad just declined my idea of the springs because I have been on the verge of selling this thing all summer. But, what weight of oil should i use?
I use 5 weight. Check your manual as you'll also need to know the amount.

James

Staff member
Heavier oil weight will increase the damping, aka make it harsher. Lighter oil weight will give you a smoother ride.