Sticky Tape around rear wheel hub??

Hey guys. Just have a question.
A mate of mine is interested in buying a used dirt. Been looking at a Honda XR400 96 model with him today. He's on a strict budget. So that's all he can afford. He doesn't want to have to spend any more on the bike in parts or anything.

The bike we looked at today had black tape around the rear wheel hub...
Why would that be do you reckon? Just trying to make sure my mate finds a good bike. Seems a bit suss to me like maybe the hubs cracked or something? What else would they use tape around the hub for?
The guy said he had no idea what it was for but he just bought it that way.
The wheel did have a bit of side to side play but that could also just be the bearings. Just seems bit suss to me with the tape around the center of the hub.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just have a question.
A mate of mine is interested in buying a used dirt. Been looking at a Honda XR400 96 model with him today. He's on a strict budget. So that's all he can afford. He doesn't want to have to spend any more on the bike in parts or anything.

The bike we looked at today had black tape around the rear wheel hub...
Why would that be do you reckon? Just trying to make sure my mate finds a good bike. Seems a bit suss to me like maybe the hubs cracked or something? What else would they use tape around the hub for?
The guy said he had no idea what it was for but he just bought it that way.
The wheel did have a bit of side to side play but that could also just be the bearings. Just seems bit suss to me with the tape around the center of the hub.

I don't know why there's tape on my rear hub?.....I don't buy that, so I would ask to take it for a spin and then inspect it closer, don't trust what this guy says.

We did take it for a spin.
Seemed to ride alright but then again, we weren't doing anything drastic like jumps or anything.

I would be skeptical, you should give the bike a good inspection. Better to find out what's up now then after you lay down the cash.

Well we're only going to go back if he decides to buy it.

Would there be any other possible reason why tape would be around the hub?
I know some people put tape around the spokes when respoking or re-truing the wheel but im unsure why else anyone would need to put tape around the hub.

The 1 we looked at today only just had a top and bottom end rebuild done. He showed us the receipts from the bike shop that did it and all the work and parts it had done to it and replaced.

We're going to look at another 1 tomorrow but its only had a top end done. In total its got about 3000ks...and 570 odd ks since the top end was done.
However there aren't any receipts because the guy said his mate who works at the local Honda dealership rebuilt it at work himself after work hours to get it in good condition to sell.
How long do the bottom ends on the XR's last for? Or how often do they need doing(roughly)? And what should I look out for(signs and symptoms) of a bad bottom end?

Last edited:
Well we're only going to go back if he decides to buy it.

Would there be any other possible reason why tape would be around the hub?
I know some people put tape around the spokes when respoking or re-truing the wheel but im unsure why else anyone would need to put tape around the hub.

A feeble attempt to hide something he doesn't want you to see.

The 1 we looked at today only just had a top and bottom end rebuild done. He showed us the receipts from the bike shop that did it and all the work and parts it had done to it and replaced.

We're going to look at another 1 tomorrow but its only had a top end done. In total its got about 3000ks...and 570 odd ks since the top end was done.
How long do the bottom ends on the XR's last for? Or how often do they need doing(roughly)? And what should I look out for(signs and symptoms) of a bad bottom end?

As far as I know, the XR's are a solid dependable engine, couldn't give you a number on how long they usually go, I think @ossagp or @Mihylo33 would have a good idea though.

The original XR line is legendary for durability and their dependability that has made Honda what they are today even if they are a shadow if their former selves. I think 95-2000 their were rear hub issues with several manufacturers with hubs cracking, spitting and the likes. Ask to pull the tape off. The worst he could say is no and then you don't buy the bike because of it.