Stick with the 250F or make the move to a 450?

So heres the deal, I'm 20 years old, in college with a steady job. I've been racing the 250F for 1 year now, and I've made it to the point where I'm a front of the pack C Class (don't laugh) Desert Racer on the 250f. I like the bike, its finally exactly how I want it minus a little bit of suspension work. Last trip to the bike store, I saw the 2010/2011 yz450f and sat on it, and I'm seriously considering buying it, but, it is a 8150 note.
The alternative is, I ride the 250f the rest of this season and next, and then switch to the 450, now from a money stand point, I could probably have a huge downpayment put together for the 450 come winter 2012.
From a riding stand point, I think theres still thinks I could learn from the 250f, and well, selling my 250f is out of the equation, period, it has sentimental value and way too much for my own good.

so what do you think
1 season and a half with the 250f more, or buy a 450 at the end of this year?

So heres the deal, I'm 20 years old, in college with a steady job. I've been racing the 250F for 1 year now, and I've made it to the point where I'm a front of the pack C Class (don't laugh) Desert Racer on the 250f. I like the bike, its finally exactly how I want it minus a little bit of suspension work. Last trip to the bike store, I saw the 2010/2011 yz450f and sat on it, and I'm seriously considering buying it, but, it is a 8150 note.
The alternative is, I ride the 250f the rest of this season and next, and then switch to the 450, now from a money stand point, I could probably have a huge downpayment put together for the 450 come winter 2012.
From a riding stand point, I think theres still thinks I could learn from the 250f, and well, selling my 250f is out of the equation, period, it has sentimental value and way too much for my own good.

so what do you think
1 season and a half with the 250f more, or buy a 450 at the end of this year?

well this is coming form a guy who hasnt ridden a 250f... but, i would save your money for another year or 2, all of the 450's just got many upgrades and i would let the companies figure out some of the issues and get them fixed... the perfect example is primalrage's 250f with the exploded connection rod

James

Staff member
First off are you running a series, will a 450 change your class? If you were racing motocross I'd say stick with the 250, however desert is a completely different animal. :noidea:

BTW I don't believe in getting a loan on toys, if you do buy it I'd wait until you can cash it off. :thumb:

well this is coming form a guy who hasnt ridden a 250f... but, i would save your money for another year or 2, all of the 450's just got many upgrades and i would let the companies figure out some of the issues and get them fixed... the perfect example is primalrage's 250f with the exploded connection rod
Huh?

First off are you running a series, will a 450 change your class? If you were racing motocross I'd say stick with the 250, however desert is a completely different animal. :noidea:

BTW I don't believe in getting a loan on toys, if you do buy it I'd wait until you can cash it off. :thumb:

Huh?
yes it would, but having missed half the races so far I'm not in contention for anything, its all for the love at the moment

the only thing that makes sense is to wait, self control is such a bitch sometimes....

James

Staff member
yes it would, but having missed half the races so far I'm not in contention for anything, its all for the love at the moment

the only thing that makes sense is to wait, self control is such a bitch sometimes....
:lol: That it is, that it is.

Ride the 250F another season try and transfer up to the B class before making the switch. Riding a smaller bike in the desert will help you gain all your technical skills and you can learn to go fast on a the 250 before jumping to the 450. When I was 17, I started out on a CR500 as a novice dez racer and stayed on 500's all the way to expert. As soon as I turned expert, I dropped down to a 250 to gain more technical skills. I raced 250s for another 4 years and when I was tapped out coming across the valleys and getting passed by 500s, I switch backed up 500s. It made a huge difference in my riding.

Just my $.02

Ask redrider58, he raced/races a crf250x, kx450f, kx250f, ktm250xc-w in A and AA desert, sounded like he could place on any one of them :devil:

Stay on the 250.

And Brian, It's Yamaha, Their 4t's are indestructable:smirk:

:thumb: You should try one sometime.

I'd stick with the 250 until you have enough to hand them the money for a 450 cash and still have some extra saved up for emergency bike issues. Plus next year the 2013 models will be better than the 12' and you will want to trade up, ect...ect..

:thumb: You should try one sometime.

I'd stick with the 250 until you have enough to hand them the money for a 450 cash and still have some extra saved up for emergency bike issues. Plus next year the 2013 models will be better than the 12' and you will want to trade up, ect...ect..
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: Doh...