2 Stroke Steering stem bearings

My steering stem bearings are bad so I had a question about them. Can you remove the bottom steering bearing with a hammer and cheisle instead of having to use a press, after the bottom steering stem bearing is removed can you install the new bearings by using a long pipe and hammer to dirve it on?

My steering stem bearings are bad so I had a question about them. Can you remove the bottom steering bearing with a hammer and cheisle instead of having to use a press, after the bottom steering stem bearing is removed can you install the new bearings by using a long pipe and hammer to dirve it on?
I would not recommend it. I had to replace mine and I took the stem to the shop and had them pop the old one off and put the new one on. I just threw the kid at the shop a $20 for doing it for me..:thumb:

Yes you can. I use a drift or punch instead of a chisel. The key for installing is to only apply force to the top end of the bearing race and not damage the rollers or the bearing faces where the rollers roll. One bad move and you can destroy that new bearing. Guess how I know.

The pipe & hammer method is the way I do it. The fit of the bearing onto the steering stem is not that much of a press. I put the stem into the fridge for about 5 minutes or so. Just long enough to get cold, but not frosty. Let the bearing sit in the sun for a while until it warmed up thoroughly. Don't put it in the oven. It only needs to be good and warm. Take the stem out of the fridge, grease it up, and tap the bearing into place using the pipe and hammer. You shouldn't need to hammer very hard to get the bearing onto the stem. The most important thing is to make sure that the bearing is started straight and not cocked.